New Chickens

All of you have beautiful birds!! Here are some of my newer birds!

White crested black polish, lavender orpingtons, silver spitzhaubens, sapphire splashes, buff orpington ducks, white pekins, and welsh harlequins!

(All of them look a lot older now since it’s been about a week since these photos, and you know how fast they grow!)
I NEED DUCKS NOW. I must have some ducks. How to get them. I could borrow some from the neigbors? No they don't have ducks. And then where to put them. No room in the hen house, no room in the sheep pens, no room in the turkey bins. This is a problem.

I NEED DUCKS NOW. I must have some ducks. How to get them. I could borrow some from the neigbors? No they don't have ducks. And then where to put them. No room in the hen house, no room in the sheep pens, no room in the turkey bins. This is a problem.
Borrowing from the neighbors! 🤣 Always a great idea. You could always shove them under your bed at night, they definitely won’t poop under there… 😂

My Millie Fleur D'uccles hatched! Unfortunately I think the humidity was off and 4 hatched with curled toes and one has only half of it's third toe so I think I will have to put it down. ☹️ That will not be easy.
IMG_0045.JPG

IMG_0043.JPG

Why put it down for a short toe?
It will never be able to roost or walk right. They are feather footed birds so it will break the feathers. It might seem cruel but I breed to the standard and for show. I can't keep every bird that is deformed or has special needs. But If I do put it down it will be as humanely and pain free as possible.

It will never be able to roost or walk right.
A chicken who is missing half of one toe should walk just fine, and probably roost just fine as well. I had a chick that was missing half a toe (one of the front toes, but I forget exactly which), and it did not have any troubles.

They are feather footed birds so it will break the feathers.
I do not know how big of a problem this would be. The chick I had was clean-footed.

I breed to the standard and for show. I can't keep every bird that is deformed or has special needs. But If I do put it down it will be as humanely and pain free as possible.
I certainly do not think you should breed the chick with a short toe. I agree that culling is one option.

But if you would otherwise raise it to butcher, I do not think the short toe would interfere with that. It might also be fine as a pet/layer (not for breeding), if it is female and if there is a market for such birds in your area.

So a while ago I was talking about these white chicks we have. I have talked to some other breeders and I think they are right because it is the only real explanation.

So exhibit A. Breed of mother. Not the real mother but the same breed.
IMG_7238.JPG

Exhibit B. The father. Black Bearded Silkie and not a good picture
IMG_7253.JPG

And finally exhibit C. The chicks. Genetics are so confusing.
IMG_9998.JPG

IMG_9997.JPG

IMG_9994.JPG

So a while ago I was talking about these white chicks we have. I have talked to some other breeders and I think they are right because it is the only real explanation.

So exhibit A. Breed of mother. Not the real mother but the same breed.
View attachment 3542367

Exhibit B. The father. Black Bearded Silkie and not a good pictureView attachment 3542368
And finally exhibit C. The chicks. Genetics are so confusing.
View attachment 3542371
View attachment 3542372
View attachment 3542373
Are those Swedish Flowers in the first photo? So pretty! :love

Back
Top Bottom