New chicks and I'm kind of freaking out...

LindseyC

Songster
Mar 23, 2018
Shawnee, Ok
Ok, so we have chicks for the first time and we just got them today. We've got our brooder all set up. It's a large cardboard box with a puppy pad on the bottom and sand on top. We have their feed and water and are using an Ecoglow heat plate. As soon as we got them in the brooder, they were active and chirping loudly and then after 20 minutes or so, they huddled up and were still chirping. I placed them under the heat plate in case they were cold and so they'd know where to go for heat. They are super quiet now and have been under there for at least 45 minutes. I have been out there and put my hand under the plate and one chirped a bit. My question is, will they come out on their own? I don't want to fry their little brains under there? Am I just stressing too much? My husband seems to think so. I just want to do everything the right way and for the little buggers to be happy.

Ok, so we have chicks for the first time and we just got them today. We've got our brooder all set up. It's a large cardboard box with a puppy pad on the bottom and sand on top. We have their feed and water and are using an Ecoglow heat plate. As soon as we got them in the brooder, they were active and chirping loudly and then after 20 minutes or so, they huddled up and were still chirping. I placed them under the heat plate in case they were cold and so they'd know where to go for heat. They are super quiet now and have been under there for at least 45 minutes. I have been out there and put my hand under the plate and one chirped a bit. My question is, will they come out on their own? I don't want to fry their little brains under there? Am I just stressing too much? My husband seems to think so. I just want to do everything the right way and for the little buggers to be happy.
They are probably exhausted! They just need to sleep for a bit and then they’ll be perky. Can you post pics?

This was before I put them under the heat plate. 2 Easter Eggers, 1 Black Australorp, and 1 Barred Rock. I'll be getting 2 Buff Orpingtons on Thursday.

29541194_10216233101325994_8424277016044995229_n.jpg

Use a heat lamp even with the heat plate? They are under the heat plate now. We got a heat plate in place of using a heat lamp. I should have both?

I used something similar and if they are quiet under there then it is working. As long as you have it close to their backs, they should be warm enough. I had 25 chicks at a time, so almost always there were some running around and when they were cold or tired they would head back under.

How are they doing today?

As mentioned earlier, the heat plate should be fine.
Chicks can suffer from shipping stress and it takes a little time for them to adjust to their new surroundings.

As long as you have showed them the water and feed, they will come around. Talk to them when you come into the room, so they aren't startled, they will learn to listen for you:) It never hurts to have something like Poultry Nutri-Drench on hand and add a little to the water the first couple of days or you can direct dose each chick with 1-2drops per day.

Hope they are all happy and active today for you.

Back
Top Bottom