New chicks and new to chicks

chuckwagon1971

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 25, 2013
My RIR just hatched 8 little cotton balls. Their dad is a jersey giant. I was wondering how long before I should take them from mom? She's pretty ornery. I don't want them living on their own, cause of predators. Looking for advice

Leave them with mom if she is raising them. Mom will fight for them, teach them things that we can't, make them stronger then brooder chicks, and integrate them seamlessly.

This may sound silly, but I have 8 week old - maybe nine. Can/Should I let them out in the run if its raining or keep them cooped up? Won't they get all muddy scratching around in the mud?

This may sound silly, but I have 8 week old - maybe nine. Can/Should I let them out in the run if its raining or keep them cooped up? Won't they get all muddy scratching around in the mud?

That depends on their feathering rate as it differs from breed to breed. If they are fully feathered including the head then yes let them out as long as it is not freezing cold. If they are not fully feathered I would wait. Most of the time only their feet will get muddy but sometimes they will. Do not worry about mud as chickens are like cats when it comes to preening. After a few hours you will never know that they ever left a perfectly clean wire cage. Broodies are the only true exception to that rule, when they get dirty they truely need a bath because they stay that way (babies pooping all the time while in their feathers).

Back
Top Bottom