New chicks arriving this week in Hawaii

Lonomakana

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 29, 2008
Pa'auhau, Hawaii
My local feed store, here on the Big Island, has just sent in the order for chicks. So, I should be getting my 9 chicks (2 Buff Orpington, 2 RIR, 2 Barred Rock, 2 Ameraucana, and one Barnevelder Roo) soon. I have some questions about brooders. The temp at my house is around 80 daytime and 70 at night. How much heat do these chicks need? How big a brooder do I need to make? How soon can I move them into my almost finished coop?

Day old's need about 95, then, from what I've read, slowly back them down by like one degree per day. I put the light in one corner of the brooder, that way if they get too hot they can get away from it, or they can get closer if they're too cold. Also, make sure they're kept safe from drafts!!!!

as said they start out at 95 degrees.you can use a brooder thats 2ftw by 3ftl by 2fth.an that should be big enough till they go to their coop.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, Kaua'i is full of jungle fowl. I live in an old plantation camp and there aren't any chickens running around loose. But, half of my neighbors have fighting cocks. One of the neighborhood kids were surprised to find out that you can get eggs from hens. I don't think that they had ever seen a hen, only game cocks.

I know there is a commercial hatchery on O'ahu, but most folks order from the mainland. We can only get hatching eggs and day old chicks due to quarantine laws. Sadly, the last local egg farm is closing up on my island. Brown eggs are going for $5 per 6 eggs at my closest store. There are lots of folks raising fighting breeds. These folks interchange stock with the Philippines, New Mexico, and Louisiana. That's changing with new laws about transporting chickens interstate.

I just saw this post! Thought I'd post where my daughter's preschool got their eggs for hatching and where our new chicks are coming from. Asagi Hatchery in Kalihi.

Not legal but still very common. Hawaii used to be a huge supplier of fighting cocks, but there are now laws against transporting them across state lines.

Back
Top Bottom