New chicks came in, now one is too tiny!

skand

Songster
11 Years
Sep 29, 2008
Odessa, Tx
We got our shipment in from Ideal this morning, and one of the little black sex-links is so tiny and not doing well. Can I put it back in the incubator to warm up without being squashed by the others?
What's the best plan to follow?

Quote:
I would get some vitamins and electrolytes and start her on that and see how she does. Maybe that she is just week from the ship. If you can't get the vit/electo's, you can use polyvisol (infant drops).

Also do you have them in a brooder/box? If so do you have a heat lamp and what is the temp?

Last edited:
Quote:
My Ideal shipment came this morning also. Sounds like you had better luck than me. I ordered 11 they sent 22.......only 3 of the "extras" where alive. I hope your lil one perks up !!

thanx for all the info. Gave 'em some vit/elec, then gave a dip of the warm sugar water. Button, (cute aint it) is trying really hard to survive, had the hole dug and he gasped at me. after he'd done the death stretch, eyes cloudy. so I'm hodin him close to keep him warm. Now we've got a NHred doing the same thing. It was an order of 100, these look like they were still moisty when they boxed em up.
sad.png

Not sure what the brooder's at, hopefully today will warm up soon, everything seems super gloomy when it isn't bright and sunshiney outside.

well, all the others are in the brooder, and i dun want these 2 to get squashed, he partly was in the box.
sad.png

what's the temp for the cooler end?

as long as they have a cooler end to go to it doesnt matter what temp. The only thing is if they are all at the cooler end and trying to get out then you would consider it to be too hot. But I seriousley doubt that would happen.

I read somewhere that someone else had chicks just delivered and some were in bad shape and then more. What happened was they were dehydrated. So make sure they all consume water. Maybe you could just dribble a little water in those 2 chicks beaks. And see if that helps.

The NHred didn't make it. Think it got too much of the electrolyte water, started throwing it up.
sad.png

The lil black sex-link is doing way better. Trying to sit with his feet under him.
smile.png
Still hasn't opened his eyes yet, but I've been checking him every 10 mins or so, getting him a drink. Everytime I touch him, he starts wiggling around like "hey, don't put me in the hole! See..I'm still kicking!"
big_smile.png
Cross fingers he makes it.

I am sorry about your little New Hampshire Red. I went back and found that post. She gave the chicks electrolyte water like barnyard suggested and they got better after that. I do think she may have lost some at first though.

Back
Top Bottom