new chicks! help me identify the "assorted"!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by noitulover, Jul 12, 2011.

1. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    I ordered 5 assorted brown egg layers, 1 white leghorn, 2 silver spangled hamburgs, and 2 exchequer leghorns. I've identified almost all of them, just need a little help on a couple...

Here is what the assorted brown egg layers could be: Rhode Island Red, New Hampshire Red, Red Star, Speckled Sussex, Dark Cornish, Light Brahma, Australorp, Buff Orpington, Dominique, Barred Plymouth Rock, White Plymouth Rock, Partridge Plymouth Rock, Delaware, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Columbian Wyandotte, Black Jersey Giant.

Here is a barred rock pullet. 1/5 of the assorted layers. (black chick with single comb and white dot on the head, nice black coloring down the front of the legs)
    [​IMG]

Here is the white leghorn pullet. (whitest chick with single comb)
    [​IMG]

Here is one of the exchequer leghorn pullets. (black/white, single comb)
    [​IMG]

Didn't take a pic of the silver spangled hamburgs. (black/white/grey, rose comb)

Here is a red sex link chick. 2/5 of the assorted layers. (reddish with the white chipmunk like stripes, single comb)
    [​IMG]

Questionable Chick (3/5 of assorted layers): This is one of the assorted brown egg layers, and it is light yellow (darker than white leghorn), with a single comb... I'm thinking White Rock? It doesn't look quite like a Buff Orpington chick... just a tad too late. Any opinions?
    [​IMG]

Questionable Chick (4/5 of assorted layers): This is one of the assorted brown egg layers, and it is reddish in color, with a slight grey appearance to the wings, with a white chest and single comb... My guess is some sort of red (NHR, RIR?) or speckled sussex?
    [​IMG]

Questionable Chick (5/5 of assorted layers): This one is probably the same as above, but the reddish color is slightly darker.
    [​IMG]

2. MinnerBuckwheat

MinnerBuckwheat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    West Michigan
    I think the bright yellow is a white rock. That was just my experience getting the brown egg assortment from McMurray though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by