New chicks - Now What!???

But if you bring them in, find a cool spot so mama can huddle them up and keep them warm. Otherwise when they do go out they'll have lost the habit of going to mama for warmth and be at a disadvantage. An unheated garage would be ok, but mama really knows best.

Yeah, the garage is far from warm, but warmer than the coop, I'd imagine. And I get the double bonus of being able to check on them 24/7!

Update:
It is RIR hen picking at Henney Penney's (moma) comb. After coming back from town with chick stuff, I just sat in the coop to observe for a bit. Sure enough, the RIR came in with guns-a-blazin'! She went over to HP who is now on the ground with her chicks and started nailing her head. So, I have put HP and her chicks in the attached garage in a large black dog crate with plenty of room for her to move around. I don't want to alienate her from the other two, but I don't know what to do to keep her and the babies safe. Any other suggestions?

I think she will be much happier that way- and you will be too. Don't worry, she will be too occupied with her babies to get lonely.

Well, you 'could' pull the RIR out... I'd wait till morning now, so you could observe the others around the chicks too, but it takes the bossy ones down a peg to be pulled out, and Henny and family could stay in the coop. You may find you're happier with henny and the kids in the garage though, if so, that's fine too, just a thought.

The only other chicken I have is a Silky, who has been with HP (Henny Penny) since they were chicks themselves. They were two of my original 6 we got this past spring. Silly (Silky) doesn't have an aggressive bone in her body. And during my obserrvations last night, she checked out the area where HP was but HP didn't mind at all. In fact, she seemed very comfortable with Silly being over there. But when Growley (RIR) appoached, HP puffed up and started making a growling noice. I could tell she was in defence mode when Growley came around. Then, all of a sudden, Growley ran towards HP. HP, with chicks underneath her, ducked her head down to protect the babies and Growley started pecking at her head. So, I assume that is what has happened to her comb. So, we shooed Growley out and packed up HP and the chicks and moved them into the garage.

I hate to alienate HP and her babies. What will happen when I put them back into the coop? Will Growley attack them? Should I remove Growley for a couple of days instead? Growley is not a nice chicken. Another family my husband knows had got chickens around the same time we did and she was one of two left. They did not have them in a safe place and preditors kept getting to them. So, I rescued her from certain death, but she doesn't seem happy about it. She has not taken to me like I had hoped. She is almost "fearful" of humans and somewhat aggressive. She will not let me get close to her, though she has made some progress over the summer. (We got her in June.) She has become the "top dog" so to speak. She doesn't share food well, but I have not seen signs of her picking at the other two until now. What should I do? Honestly, I am kind of leary of her. She will walk right up to me in the coop and stare me down and growl at me. I can just see her attacking me like some kind of modern day raptor!

1. Should I separate her from the group? Then she will start at the bottom of the pecking order when she is returned?

2. Should I just keep HP and babies separated until...when....how long?

3. A lady I work with also has chickens. Should I give RIR to her? She lays wonderful big brown eggs and I hate to give her away.

Please, more advice!

Well, now you have chicks so you will have the opportunity to have more eggs if that is what you are worried about. Honestly I would probably rehome her. I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem finding a home for her. When you don't really have a connection with her and it comes down to a quality of life issue for your babies, I think that's the right choice. If you seperate her a while and put her back, it won't take her long to be the top chicken again- especially if she is outright aggressive. And if you plan on putting the chicks in there, she will definately bully them, and possibly hurt them- I think that might just kill you. Anyways, I know its easier said than done. Try and do what is best for you.

If it were me, I'd pull the RIR out and put the two friends together. I've had hens help each other with chicks, and silkies are supposed to be wonderful mommas, so if they're ok together, let them stay that way. After the chicks are bigger, maybe a week, maybe as little as 3 or 4 days even, you can try to reintroduce Growler, by then Henny and Silky will have established their own alliance all over again, and the chicks will be stronger.

That's just me though. I also don't think you will be alienating Henny by leaving things as they are either, so it's all up to you. The other way just takes Growler down a peg while letting Henny stay in her house. Again, there's always different ways to handle these things and you'll find what's best for you.

BTW, Where's the Pictures?!?!?!?
wink.png

I don't know how to upload pictures here. I went to the Upload icon and got a picture up, but then how do I get it here in the quote box? I haven't figured it out yet. I posted a picture of my Rooster Ricky but don't remember how I did it YIKES!
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom