new chicks........ok to look?

cbourbeau32

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 29, 2014
I have a broody hen that sat on 7 eggs and at day 18 they all looked viable so I assume most or all have hatched (they started yesterday). Yesterday and today I've only seen her after dark so the new chicks are under her. Will it be ok to go out since it's dark and raise her up and look under her to count the chicks like you do when you candle eggs?

Thanks........excited chicken dad, aka Charlie!

First, I think you can wait till daytime and they will be dried and walking already. At that point you need to provide chick starter feed for them as well as water to drink. Make sure that water is in shallow containers so chicks do not drown in it.
Mother is protective of her chicks. If you go during dark, she may get startled and attack your hand.. It is not that you will sustain injuries, but that the action can possibly injure chicks underneath.
WISHING YOU BEST and don't forget to take your camera with. We are expecting pictures tomorrow .
thumbsup.gif

First, I think you can wait till daytime and they will be dried and walking already. At that point you need to provide chick starter feed for them as well as water to drink. Make sure that water is in shallow containers so chicks do not drown in it.
Mother is protective of her chicks. If you go during dark, she may get startled and attack your hand.. It is not that you will sustain injuries, but that the action can possibly injure chicks underneath.
WISHING YOU BEST and don't forget to take your camera with. We are expecting pictures tomorrow .
thumbsup.gif

Actually I won't be home during the daytime for two more days so as expected I'm very anxious to see them. We do have starter and a chick watering jar out already. I guess waiting a couple of days won't hurt anything. This isn't my first hatch or I probably wouldn't have the patience to wait. :)

Back
Top Bottom