New Chicks On The Block

ScrambledChick

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 3, 2013
Pepperell, MA
Hi, we are in Billerica, MA and just brought our first chickens home two days ago. They are about 8-10 weeks old. One Buff Orpington, one Delaware and one Black Star. The first day they stayed out in the run and would not go in the coop at night. The Delaware did go in a couple of times on her own but came back out. I put them in myself and the next day they did not come out at all. I had the food and water out in the run. I had extra food and water containers so I put them in the coop for them. This morning I opened the door and they are still inside, I am not surprised since everything is new to them and they are nervous. I am sure they will get the routine eventually. I've been involved in animal rescue for a long time so I know animals need time to adjust to new environments and learn to trust the person taking care of them. I'm sure a few months from now they won't leave me alone when I go out there. Looking forward to learning more and meeting all of you on the forum.

Welcome. I am new to chicken raising too. I have always wanted some though. We just moved out to the country in Tennessee. We got 12 babies from TSC about a month ago. Everyone is still alive and seems happy. :)

Greetings from Kansas, ScrambledChick, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our community! Sounds like you and your chicks are getting along well! Best wishes!

welcome-byc.gif
From New Mexico!

Yes, the chicks will adapt eventually. Sounds like you are taking good care of them. :)

Glad you could join and enjoy the forums!

welcome-byc.gif
Sounds like your chicks are acting chicken! All you usually need is one brave one to venture out- then the others usually follow. Maybe you can bribe them with a little 'boss'. black
oil sunflower seeds - give them a little taste in the coop, then scatter some on their ramp down to their run - some might follow.

Back
Top Bottom