New chicks- One in need of help!

kaleigher

Hatching
9 Years
Apr 23, 2010
Hi everyone!

I've been lurking on these boards for several months now trying to prepare for the arrival of my flock. They came today, six total- one Australorp, one Easter Egger, one Barred Rock, and three bantam Buff Brahmas. My husband received the babies and upon opening their box thought one of the banties was dead. However, we quickly discovered that he is very much alive but is unable to stand up. He keeps one of his legs underneath him and the other out. The leg he keeps underneath him seems to be turned in an odd direction when compared to the other leg. He doesn't seem to like us handling the leg very much so I wonder if he's in pain. Like I said, he can't stand so he can't walk. He is able to scoot around but I know this must be exhausting. I'm trying to make sure he stays hydrated and has access to food and water, but I'm not sure what else to do
sad.png
. Is it possible that splinting or hobbling his legs might help? I read that as a treatment for splay-legs, which I don't think is the problem, but I defer to the experience of the others here on these boards. . . I've prepared myself for the possibility that having him put to sleep might end up being the most humane decision (we have a close personal friend who is a verterinarian who specializes in "exotics"). Any thoughts, input, etc. are greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

If you believe in your heart that your chicks quality of life is not going to be any better than what it is then please don't let it have to go thru life as a cripple. Especially if he seems like he is in pain then it is time for you to say goodbye to this little chick.

we have a bantam(at least we think we do.)We thought his leg was turned it turned out all our chicks were like that at first, but only time will tell. I really hope it gets better. _

I think he or she can live fine with one leg, IF it can get around ok and IF it's not in pain.

I have a one legger now, she got her leg pinned and broke the bone clear in half....which I'm sure must have hurt, but after the initial pain she never let it bother her. I was ready to put her down immediately after the injury, but she took off running away on one leg and I thought If she can get around THAT good then she has a home with us!
Less than a week later she was roosting on top of her waterer and trying her darndest to act like a normal chicken her age
big_smile.png

However I had a chick in the same brooder group, that when she was a couple of days old she quit walking, and started dragging her legs, especially one of them. I thought she wasn't eating well, so maybe a nutitional thing, so I nursed her a while with special foods, and fed her poly vi sol, but when she didn't improve I had to put her down. It was hard, but I could tell that it was time.

Give it a few days, and you'll know what you need to do.

Hi everyone! Thanks so much for the responses! After doing a bit more research and looking at some more pictures, I feel fairly certain that we are dealing with a slipped tendon. I made a chick chair and he/she is doing pretty well in that. I'm doing the stretching thing with his leg and I am hoping that we will be able to see some results in a few days. I'll post updates!

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom