New Chicks Pecking Eachother

Ellie's Herd

In the Brooder
Jan 17, 2018
My two new chicks are pecking each other, and one pecked the other at one point so hard I heard I loud noise. What do I do, if anything, to stop them?

If they aren't bleeding there's no problem, just establishing a pecking order. However if there is blood, clean the wound and wait till it stops bleeding, then take the bully out. Put the wounded chicken back and then the offender after about ten minutes. Again, if they haven't drawn blood or there's barely any, don't worry. Its completely normal for chicks to try and show their power to rise above the others !

I have 7 chicks and one of them was pecking the lighter colored ones eyes to the point where it was very aggreaaive, not just regular pecking order stuff. I put her by herself but she seemed really stressed and lonely but after a couple days I tried to put her in with the others and she went directly for the eyes again very aggressively. So I put another chick in there with her that is also darker color like her. They are doing fine together but now I feel like I'm being unfair to the one who wasn't being mean. Haha

Do you only have 2 chickens? They may just need to be separated in the same brooder box so they can see and hear each other.
I know this isn't a long-term solution for me because they're going to outgrow this split box really quickly. But at least everyone seems happy now.

Attachments

• 15199469920001392122534.jpg
    15199469920001392122534.jpg
    354.7 KB · Views: 2
Oh yeah, if you only have two chicks this is bound to happen, and their fights will probably be a bit more violent .you should consider a few more chicks.

I have 7 chicks which were all hatched the same day, but different breeds. I have 2 chicks whose backsides have been plucked raw. One was plucked and bleeding yesterday and this morning a second one was plucked, but not bleeding. I have not seen it happening, so I don't know which one is the offender.

I have a couple questions.
I read that I can use diluted clove oil to discourage the plucking. Any other suggestions>
What can I apply to the raw backsides to help the healing process? I sprayed a little colloidal silver on their behinds.

Back
Top Bottom