New chicks quarantine

Oldhenhens

Songster
Jan 18, 2021
Central Missouri
Hello everybody I have a question about quarantining new chicks. I recently acquired two AC chicks that are approximately 8 to 9 weeks old. I have them in a separate brooder and separate building away from all of my other chicks or chickens. I wash my hands in hot water and soap and use hand sanitizer too after handling the new chicks. I do the same when I go from one group of chickens to the other.
How long should I keep the two AC chicks separate from the flock? I’ve read through articles but most seem to speak to introducing separation and not for health safety.
The chicks are fully feathered and I believe that they could handle being in the coop without heat but I want to keep my flock safe.
I have a group of 22 hatched chicks (hatched December 12-13) that aren’t quite feathered out I was thinking of doing introductions to the flock all at the same time possibly end of February. Will that be a long enough quarantine for the AC chicks? I will add they are already flying out of the brooder and keeping me on my toes! 🤦‍♀️
In addition what sort of things should I be looking for on the new chicks as a possible issue.
Thank you!

Attachments

• B2EED036-0581-4A4E-9618-A107E12F0B4E.jpeg
    B2EED036-0581-4A4E-9618-A107E12F0B4E.jpeg
    787.7 KB · Views: 12
Cute chicks! The general recommendation is to maintain a strict quarantine for at least 30 days. Advice on this and other aspects of quarantining here: https://agriculture.vic.gov.au/bios.../quarantine-advice-when-introducing-new-birds

Some of the harder-to-remember aspects of quarantine include remembering not to track dirt/feces between groups of chickens, which can be achieved by changing shoes, using boot covers, or using a sanitizing solution to clean footwear thoroughly.

Cute chicks! The general recommendation is to maintain a strict quarantine for at least 30 days. Advice on this and other aspects of quarantining here: https://agriculture.vic.gov.au/bios.../quarantine-advice-when-introducing-new-birds

Some of the harder-to-remember aspects of quarantine include remembering not to track dirt/feces between groups of chickens, which can be achieved by changing shoes, using boot covers, or using a sanitizing solution to clean footwear thoroughly.
Thank you! I have read and save the article. Great information!

Back
Top Bottom