New chicks starting to do this....

I have a welsummer chick (3.5 weeks) that is doing this as well. I got on here to look for answers. My chicks have only been in their box since I got them. I have five others (1 other welsummer) and all the others are fine so far. I have been giving them water with chick boost in it every day since they were a week- it has riboflavin in it as well as elecrolytes and probiotics and other vitamins. Could it really be a vitamin deficiency?
I have seen a couple other posts that mention something like this in welsummer chicks. Are they susceptible to this?
I have a hard time believing it is Mereks, but maybe I just don't want to believe. Where would she have gotten it? I will have to talk to the store where I bought them to see if they were vaccinated. I did not ask at the time. I have 5 older chickens that are out in the backyard and I have never dealt with this before.
My chick is also very interested in food- especially high protein like yolk, yogurt and mealworms. Poops are a little wetter than the other chicks, but still solid. She can barely balance when she is on her "knees". She moves like she is dizzy.

I have a welsummer chick (3.5 weeks) that is doing this as well. I got on here to look for answers. My chicks have only been in their box since I got them. I have five others (1 other welsummer) and all the others are fine so far. I have been giving them water with chick boost in it every day since they were a week- it has riboflavin in it as well as elecrolytes and probiotics and other vitamins. Could it really be a vitamin deficiency?
I have seen a couple other posts that mention something like this in welsummer chicks. Are they susceptible to this?
I have a hard time believing it is Mereks, but maybe I just don't want to believe. Where would she have gotten it? I will have to talk to the store where I bought them to see if they were vaccinated. I did not ask at the time. I have 5 older chickens that are out in the backyard and I have never dealt with this before.
My chick is also very interested in food- especially high protein like yolk, yogurt and mealworms. Poops are a little wetter than the other chicks, but still solid. She can barely balance when she is on her "knees". She moves like she is dizzy.
Mareks doesn't usually show up this early. I don't know that it is common in welsummers (maybe someone else would,) but it seems to be common lately with all of the new chicks out there. This isn't always cured with vitamins, but it sure is worth trying. Diarrhea can be common in this. If you want to read more about it, look up "curled leg paralysis" or "riboflavin deficiency in chickens" on Google or here on BYC.

Last edited:
Poops are a little wetter than the other chicks, but still solid. She can barely balance when she is on her "knees". She moves like she is dizzy.
Sounds a lot like mine. He (we have named him Forest (as in Forest Gump)) started walking more on his curled toes this evening so we just made him splints to hold his toes properly. Hopefully with the vitamins and splints he will be doing better in the morning. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also just for stats we bought 7 welsummers and out of those 4 are doing this. The other 3 bantams we got with them are showing no signs so far. Knock on wood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad you checked in with the Indiana Thread! Leah's Mom posted some great info on there for you. I personally wouldn't jump to conclusions that it's Marek's, but if it would turn out to be, you do not have to cull your whole flock. CRSelvey (Cheryl) on the Indiana Thread lost a pet hen from Marek's early this year, discussed situation with Purdue, and found out it's not necessary to cull your whole flock unless you breed or show, etc. Hers are pets. She followed procedures including sanitizing the area, and she now has new chicks along with her previous flock.

Good news. Only see 2 of them doing it today. Forest took his splints off during the night. He walks on his balled up toes kinda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom