new chicks

haus

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 4, 2011
I just received my first batch of new chicks, on Saturday. 2 BR 2 RiR and 2 Americana. All seem happy and energetic in the brooder, except one. The one Americana seems very lethargic, and isn't running around like the rest. She had pasty butt, which we cleaned and hopefully took care of. This is our first set of chicks, and the kids have taken a great interest in the chickens. Unfortunately Sleepy is both of the kids favorite chick.
Is this normal to just have a lazy chick?? Or do I have a bigger problem with this one?

Will upload pictures later... THANKS

Hello! This sometimes happens when you get chicks.....Now what I would do is make sure the weaker one is getting a little bit of special treatment.....I would put some vitamins/electrolites in the drinking water, and make sure this little chick is drinking, by giving it some water with a dropper. Also, you could chop of some boiled egg yolk, and feed that to the little chick to give it a protein boost.

Now, that's really all you can do, and sometimes, Mother Nature takes 'em back early because something isn't quite right inside their little bodies.......(That's how I would explain it to the kids....)

So sorry for your little chick, but there is hope! Good luck to you!

Sharon

If she seems constipated (which often accompanies pasty butt) give her warm molasses water (a large drop of food-grade molasses in one tablespoon of warm water, so the color of the liquid is medium tan). Have her drink 7-12 sips of this per day, for 3-4 days (make it fresh, as even slightly fermented molasses water will sicken the chick). If you have to hold her and force her to take sips, make sure you don't submerge her nostrils into the water, to avoid aspiration. Warm molasses water acts as a chicken laxative. Also, make sure all the fresh (non-molasses) drinking water for all the chicks is warm, not cool. Cool water can constipate chicks, too.

Back
Top Bottom