New Chicks

cottagechick

Songster
8 Years
Jul 11, 2011
Cottage Grove, Oregon
I am about to be the proud mama of a few day olds. (Due date about 09/01) I was thinking about heat sources. Should I take a hot water bottle with me in the car so that i can put it in their box till I get them home? What about heating pads/hot water bottles as heat sources? Since it is 83 degrees here do I need to have a full blown heat lamp? Do I need a thermometer or can I just go by behavior? Should I take some water mixed with the vitamin water or chick saver I keep hearing about and give them a drink in the car or should I wait to open the box till I get home?

Are you getting them in the mail or from a feed store, or?? That might make a big difference.
smile.png

Quote:
Mail. (I can't get over the fact that they mail chicks usps.)
roll.png

Yes, I would definitely try to water them ASAP. Be sure the water isn't cold. Hot water bottle could be a good idea. Make sure they have room to get away from it if they are too warm. You likely will have to dip their beaks in the water to get them to drink. A hampster water bottle with the tube and ball works well for this. If they huddle together in your brooder they are too cold. If they get very far from the light they are too hot. You can raise and lower your light or use different bulbs. Remember the temp may drop at night. They peep loudly if they are to hot or too cold. I pray all goes well and they arrive safe and sound and you aren't too stressed!
wink.png

We're getting ours the same day or so from the PO which is 20 minutes away, so I have the same questions. I read that you should open the box at the PO so that they can attest to any dead loss, but I'm not sure what to do for the trip home. I guess I could let the car get super warm, but I don't think the kids will like it. I look forward to your responses.

Quote:
Hmmm..I hadn't thought about...
sad.png
I hope it isn't an issue. They scheduled me to work at 6:15 am. So my Mom is being kind enough to pick them up. She has already told me how depressed she is going to be all day if one is dead.

Quote:
Mail. (I can't get over the fact that they mail chicks usps.)
roll.png

Yes, I would definitely try to water them ASAP. Be sure the water isn't cold. Hot water bottle could be a good idea. Make sure they have room to get away from it if they are too warm. You likely will have to dip their beaks in the water to get them to drink. A hampster water bottle with the tube and ball works well for this. If they huddle together in your brooder they are too cold. If they get very far from the light they are too hot. You can raise and lower your light or use different bulbs. Remember the temp may drop at night. They peep loudly if they are to hot or too cold. I pray all goes well and they arrive safe and sound and you aren't too stressed!
wink.png

Even little chickies need all the prayers they can get!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom