New chicks

talaye

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 30, 2013
I have a hen that went broody. I had no idea she was even laying on her eggs. (She must have found a private place on our property) anyway I put her in a separate place from the rest of the flock. I'm wondering....is it safe to let her roam around with her chicks, or will the other chickens attack the babies? Also I worry my cats will get the babies. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

welcome-byc.gif

Glad you joined us.

Momma hen will protect her babies but If you could move her and her brood to a protected area she will be very successful in raising that brood of chicks. Cats will grab a chick when they can. If you have a dog crate with some hay and you can enclose it in a small run it could be very good.

Hope that helps
Caroline

:welcome

Glad you joined us.

Momma hen will protect her babies but If you could move her and her brood to a protected area she will be very successful in raising that brood of chicks.  Cats will grab a chick when they can.  If you have a dog crate with some hay and you can enclose it in a small run it could be very good.

Hope that helps
Caroline

Thanks! I did move her and the chicks immediately from the flock, but thought it would be nice for them to be outdoors during the day. There are 9 chicks! What a surprise yesterday morning! I will probably just keep them locked up with mom to be safe thanks!

You will not have to keep them locked up for long. I would let them out in a week or two but be out there with them so if your cats are stalking the chicks you can squirt them and discourage the behavior.

Caroline

Ok good idea! Thanks! Do you think she will take them in with the rest of the flock at night? Or will she choose to take them to the private cage I set up for her? I'm so excited to have a broody hen! I just want to be sure those babies are safe!

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Congrats on the hatch! If there is a possibility of the cat grabbing a chick I'd keep them in and only let them roam outside under supervision. Cats are excellent hunters and a determined cat won't be put off by a protective mom.

Ok. Good advice thanks! Maybe I will make the cats take turns with the chicks and only let the chicks out every once in a while with the cats locked up ( only two cats here ). So excited!

Back
Top Bottom