New chix

Prior to reading this I’ve started to make a bigger brooder until I feel comfortable putting them outside completely. I did take them out for playtime yesterday for about 10 minutes but it seemed they were very scared and cold. I’ll do this daily to help them acclimate to the colder temps. I will make the adjustments suggested to the coop while they are still in the brooder. I’ll attach the progress of the new brooder. I still need to put walls around it and netting but they now will have a total area of about 74 square feet. This space is in my enclosed porch and is insulated well. It still gets cold in there but I can use space heaters to knock off some bitter cold. There is plenty of ventilation so frostbite will not be an issue and plenty of natural light. I will set up different feeder and water systems too. I will also add pine shavings as the bedding. They will be moved out here Monday or Tuesday when I’m able to secure more reclaimed wood.

Attachments

• IMG_4921.jpeg
    IMG_4921.jpeg
    450.9 KB · Views: 9
Also ignore the outlet on the wall. They will not be able to get to it as it will be covered by plywood walls.

Now their space is much bigger. It’s not 100%. I have some netting to put up and a few other final touches. This should suffice until they are just a little older. By then I’ll have the coop converted and set up outside with a real nice run in the grass.

Attachments

• IMG_4935.jpeg
    IMG_4935.jpeg
    682.3 KB · Views: 4
Now their space is much bigger. It’s not 100%. I have some netting to put up and a few other final touches. This should suffice until they are just a little older. By then I’ll have the coop converted and set up outside with a real nice run in the grass.
Hope you plan on netting over that or you'll have chicks wandering around all over the place.

Also not sure if you care, but the board games and other stuff you have stored there is all going to get dusty very fast, chickens are dander generators!

Back
Top Bottom