New clutch of eggs

Ole rooster

Songster
8 Years
Jun 25, 2011
Milner, Georgia
As some of you know I had a BO hatch out 6 chicks. They are 3 week old now. I've really been fussing to the wife about how the chicken have just quit laying. Well today I missed one of the other Buffs. I didn't see and sign anything had gotten her. Morgan, my dog seemed like nothing was up, and the other chickens were calm. I figured she was up the something. Just a bit ago I found her settin on 12 eggs. Where she made the nest, I have no clue how she got in there. I thought I have it blocked off, but I don't guess I did. She got under my shed. Now it looks like I'm going to have more chicks than I really wanted. One cranky chicken is bad enough around here. But now another one, and they look just alike.

If I move her to the brooder house now will she stay? She's off the nest at the moment.

You never know. I had a broody GLW, and she would not set on the nest when I relocated it. But now, I've got a broody silkie, and a broody bantam cochin, and they will sit on that nest no matter where it is.....

They say to try relocating a broody at night, when it's dark......

Good luck!

Sharon

It depends on whether she likes the new nest . . . I had a broody that I relocated and she kept going back to the old spot even though the eggs had been moved. I figured out that she didn't like the new nest and made it a bit bigger and moved the eggs to the new nest again and put her there and she stuck. Hatched out every one of them there. So, it depends . . .

Like has been stated it depends on the chicken. My silkie will only move if i move her nest. I cant make a new one for her, i tried on time making the new one out of straw but she wouldn't sit on it. put shavings from her nest on it and bamb, she sat right away.

Back
Top Bottom