New Cockerel to my flock

GAhen

Songster
12 Years
Aug 2, 2007
Carrollton GA
Hello,
I am Tammie from GA. I have a flock of pullets, five months old, I have raised since only a few days old. I love them! They are so much fun.
I just brought two more pullets into the flock....about the same age.
I also brought in a cockerel. I was hesitant to do so but I just could'nt resist....
I am nervous about the cockerel....do I keep him in with the flock or separate....I am not interested in hatching anything at this time.
Also when do cockerels begin to crow??
My pullets are in a coop and free range about 5 days a week.
This is a great forum. I am new here and new to chickens, but I am really enjoying them!

Welcome, Tammie!

My chickens are free range, so I never separated the rooster when we brought him in. I would guess that if there is room for him it would be okay. Others with more experience than I have might think differently, or have ideas about how to go about introducing him in with the pullets. Also, my hens were all grown at the time.

I understand that when a rooster starts crowing can depend on the breed, and of course, they are all individuals.

Have fun! You are right, this is a great forum.

Well, the main reason for keeping birds separate at first is to make sure they are not sick or carrying parasites. It's part of the quarentene time as you don't want to cause your whole flock to get sick. Speckledhen made a post about it yesterday? If you put him in with the rest right away though, he should be fine with your girls. When they crow varies with the breed and how old they are. Have fun!

Well....he crowed a little this morning.....He seems like a sweet bird.....I hope the girls will like him...
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom