New Coop & 10 Week Old Golden Comet Hens

dgrhodes

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 16, 2013
Hi guys,

long time lurker, first time poster. I picked up some chicks the end of March from tractor supply co and raised them indoors for the last nine weeks. We finally finished their coop yesterday, which we designed based on a few designs we'd seen online that we combined.

Last night was their first night in the coop and they seemed to do well. They had no problems roosting and found their way to the two roost bars without any problem. The entire area is 4x8 and their coop is 4x4. it is 3 feet off the ground. I built a ramp for them to use to get from the run to the coop, but they don't seem to use it. Ive even tried coaxing them out onto it with cracked corn but they will get on it, then jump off back into the run.

Tonight will be the second night there for them. Currently they're down in the run, where their food and water is located.

The coop isn't entirely finished, we still need to do some trim work, and the overall picture isn't as it stands now, I just haven't taken an up to date picture. I will soon.

Looks nice!
Welcome. I'm very new myself, both to chickens and BYC.

Does your coop have nest boxes?

Hi,

thanks! It does not at the moment, I have recently returned to school and worked this weekend only enough to get them safe in the coop for this week. I will be taking the right side of the wall off and building a nest box in there this upcoming weekend. I'm just hoping they make their way up to the roost tonight on their own.

From what I've read around here, it seems like it may take a day or two for them to find their way.

This is my chickens second night too, but I had to put them in and close the door. I hate forcing them but hopefully they get the idea. I think maybe my ramp is too high for them...they seem scared to climb up or down, but my old flock never had a problem so I guess they just need to get used to it.

Yeah, i just put mine inside and they acted terrified and kept squawking and acting nervous. I had to literally put them on the ramp and bump them inside. Once inside they acted like they wanted to get back out and back down into the run. I've read to keep them in the coop for a week, then open the door, but I currently have my food and water outside the coop. I don't want to confuse them anymore. I'm not sure what to do? Anyone have any suggestions??

Dustin

Put the food, water and chickens in the coop, keep them in there a for a few days and then try to release them back into the run, see if they'll coop up at dark.
If they won't, repeat process locking them up longer.

That ramp is awfully steep, that may be part of the problem, but maybe they'll figure it out.

well, this morning around 640 I went out and opened the door, this time i didn't force them out or anything, just left it open and left the house. later on in the day my wife came home and they were all down in the run, so they at least decided to leave the coop for the run. Hopefully they do the opposite tonight!

They'll figure it out eventually--sometimes it takes a few days, week, before they do it on their own--their instinct is to roost at sunset for safety. I had to physically put mine in their coop for a few evenings, not an easy task with 21! My grow out coop has a removeable side and the regular single door with the ramp--nowhere near as steep as yours but they still wouldn't go up it at night so I figured out I needed to leave the wide side hatch open--they'd hop in and settle down. That's where we are now a week later--I don't think they would go in the smaller door now though.

One suggestion though--if you do not secure your girls in the coop at night (with a securely closed/latched door) I would recommend you replace the chicken wire with hardware cloth or your girls will be sitting ducks (so to speak) for any nocturnal marauders. Not sure where you live but I know a raccoon could easily break through the chicken wire to get to your feeder, and fresh poultry would be a bonus for them. I speak from experience, although my feeder was in a dog kennel and my bantam Cochins, Silkie and Sultan were sleeping in their (I thought) secure coop....the feeder was out in the kennel but I saw someone was getting into the feed so I moved it into the coop, dropped the pop door and closed the kennel door. The next morning two Cochins were completely gone, the Silkie and Sultan had been slaughtered and left behind. A seven foot fence had been scaled, the kennel door pushed open, and the coop door lifted up to gain access.
Sick.
We trapped two huge raccoons the next two nights--silly creatures must have thought we'd reload the coop for their dining pleasure. I hated it but they invaded my turf so they had to go.

We also have foxes, coyotes, opossums, hawks, owls....so, thought I'd share what I've learned:)
Good luck with your 'training!'

PS: Cute coop!

i'm going to make a weighted lock that will latch the door closed when I let the string down. as of today it just slides down on it's own weight. I'm located in WV so we most definitely have racoons, i plan on putting some traps out near the coop to catch them if they come around.

As for the ramp, i'll give them a few weeks, if they don't catch on, i'll just make a landing like a staircase in a house and let them go up it that way, so the angle is less steep.

I'm guessing, just for the reason of attracting racoons, I should put the food in the coop with the girls? I thought about making a pvc feeder and sticking out the side of the coop.

Back
Top Bottom