New coop and new, mature chickens

Sounds like you are doing everything right.
Thought these were my two party girls till they got all flirty in the pool. One's a guy ! It's all good, hope we get babies. Romy got in the camera view, he's not all too sure he upholds with all the splashing. He's rather straight laced. (But loves a cuddle every night before bedtime)

I ended up with 2 Ameraucana roosters! I was wondering why I kept seeing those two fighting all the time. We're getting rid of one.

The very first lot of baby chicks I got (4) ended up being 3 roosters and one little girl) One Rhode Islsnd red was a magnificent guy but very aggresive the other two were Buff Orpingtons, Beautiful fluffy fella's. I ended up giving them all to a nice guy who had 40 hens and no roosters. He needed them to put some sparkle in his girls step. He couldn't believe his eyes. I bet his girls were happy to see them.

I thought I'd play it safe and specifically requested a girl (Jersey Giant) Pearl is huge and my reigning Diva. Loves to sing along to Maria Callas Opera music. Then I got one male Cochin who has turned out "Cover Magazine" handsome. He and Pearl are a couple and are totally inseparable. You'll see which of yours will naturally pair up. It's very sweet to watch.
My 3 other girls were specifically chosen for their breed and sex. There's only one King of the hill for this bunch. He keeps them all in line, stamps his feet if they hop up on the fence to jump into the paddock and gives them a real hard time when they come back.
If you've ever seen a Cochin stamp his feet with all those feathers try to keep a straight face and don't offend his dignity.

Hope you replace the roosters you had to give away. Any new ones you get, keep them separate for a couple of weeks in case they have anything catching. (Unless they are from the same person you just got your little flock from, it's only been a short time)
Good luck, Alex

Times 2on this.
They need to be kept in 24// 7for 3 or 4 days or youll have a heck of a time catching th em to put in By the way if you do needto catch one ranging wait til alnost totally dark as they wont run then
free ranging them right away isn't the right thing to do. they will not think of the coop as their home. from the threads here typically people suggest close them in a coop for a bit

Back
Top Bottom