New Coop and Run - How to Adapt to Less Room?

gotweim

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 25, 2011
Romeo, MI
We are moving and will be transferring our flock into a new coop and run. Currently they have a TON of space. Their run is 20x30 and their coop is 8x8. We have 11 total chickens....2 roos (one silkie and one showgirl, both very mild tempered), 5 medium size hens, and 4 bantam hens. Below is a photo of the coop we will be making out of our kids old swing set clubhouse.

The clubhouse dimensions are 5x6 and we will be adding a nesting box bump out. We plan to have the run measure 6x20. They will have free access to the run at all times so I'm not too concerned about the size of the coop but I am concerned about the size of the run. I'm within the 10ft/chicken rule of thumb but do you think they'll have issues going from so much room to "just enough room". Has anyone else gone though the same situation. We've got about 5 weeks until we move, should I start blocking off space in the large run to get them accustom to the smaller run?

Anything you can do to keep them "occupied" in the beginning of living in the smaller area probably would help.

I've seen where people use a hanging basket or suet feeder and fill it with cabbage or somthing for the chickens to peck at. since it's hanging they can get it swinging which makes it harder for them to eat from which just makes them work harder and keep busier while trying to get it.

Might help with the transition.

Back
Top Bottom