New coop and run questions

Katesfunnyfarm

Chirping
Jun 23, 2020
I’m a (sort of) first time chicken mom. I had two hens and two guineas years ago, but they were in our barn with the horses and we learned the hard way that raccoons have quite a taste for chickens. This time around, we have a proper coop and run, next to our local car dealership. The dealership doesn’t mind our farm animals, and as an added bonus, predators don’t much like the people and noise of a dealership. My coop was built for me, but the run was all our work. It’s a pretty big run, 25 by 30. My original plan was to only have my original six chicks bought from TSC. But we all know how chicken math works. I quickly got addicted, and I now have 16 birds, 6 of which are 2 week olds still in the brooder. These ladies, possibly boys, are all bantams.
I have tapped out space in my existing coop...and I’m very aware I need to build another. I already have one roo, and I’m sure I have another bantam roo. I’ll either use the second coop to break up the flock and give them more room, or use as a bachelor coop. I’ve used quite a bit of funds on the first coop and run, not figuring I’d be wanting to build another just a few months later. I found some amazing plans for a pallet coop that uses a lot of repurposed wood and materials, and I’m going to attempt that. But as for the run...that’s what I’m trying to figure out. I have almost unlimited space, but limited funds. I have a LOT of t posts, but I’m not sure I like the looks of that/I would rather something more sturdy. I was looking at the producers pride wire run. I really like the looks of it, and I will reinforce that with hardware cloth. As long as I can build the coop rather cheaply, I don’t mind springing one the run. What do y’all think? Any experience with this run? Or stick with a t post build?

Here’s a pic of the current set up...don’t mind the mess, still finishing up some last bits
42B68A60-F72E-47CA-8439-756B71F0D99F.jpeg

Stick with the T-Post build for now.

PS I'm looking for a heavy duty truck and the Chevy 2500 with Duramax diesel is one of my choices, can you put in a good word with your buddies at the dealership next door? Tell 'em Reddogmaster2 says hey!

I have seen SO many gorgeous trucks move out of their lot on a daily basis. Lucky people. Maybe...maybe if I give them eggs when the girls start laying, we can work out a lil dealio 😂

Oh and with the t post build...what would you recommend for the fencing material? My other run is completely hardware cloth, the “roof” is chicken wire. I’d love to do hardware cloth again but mannn that stuff was pricey. I am afraid to do anything else though...we have a huge raccoon and weasel population. Lots of fox too. I’ve seen them bounding through our fields in the daytime

Oh and with the t post build...what would you recommend for the fencing material? My other run is completely hardware cloth, the “roof” is chicken wire. I’d love to do hardware cloth again but mannn that stuff was pricey. I am afraid to do anything else though...we have a huge raccoon and weasel population. Lots of fox too. I’ve seen them bounding through our fields in the daytime

If you do use T-Posts I'd have to recommend hardware cloth. Yeah, its way too expensive but worth it. And I know its a pain, but you have to bury it to keep the diggers out.

Or you can go full out and construct a run out of treated lumber. Here is a pic of my new Chicken Run that I built. It is predator proof to the max with hardware cloth totally wrapped around the Run as well as buriedunderground.

Coop Run (2).jpg

If you do use T-Posts I'd have to recommend hardware cloth. Yeah, its way too expensive but worth it. And I know its a pain, but you have to bury it to keep the diggers out.

Or you can go full out and construct a run out of treated lumber. Here is a pic of my new Chicken Run that I built. It is predator proof to the max with hardware cloth totally wrapped around the Run as well as buriedunderground.

View attachment 2224849

That’s beautiful! You did such a good job! Are those all 4x4’s for the frame?
For the other run I used posts and concrete...where this run will be, not an option even if money was endless. Our property used to be an Apple barrel factory and an evaporator. The business had a huge fire that took out everything but our barn that’s still standing. When I tried to dig the post holes for the original run, I kept running into a concrete slab everywhere I went. Turns out it was the foundation of one of the old buildings. So this run will have to be above ground, or with the t posts only about a foot down

That’s beautiful! You did such a good job! Are those all 4x4’s for the frame?
For the other run I used posts and concrete...where this run will be, not an option even if money was endless. Our property used to be an Apple barrel factory and an evaporator. The business had a huge fire that took out everything but our barn that’s still standing. When I tried to dig the post holes for the original run, I kept running into a concrete slab everywhere I went. Turns out it was the foundation of one of the old buildings. So this run will have to be above ground, or with the t posts only about a foot down

The perimeter of the entire Coop and Run has 4x4's laid on the ground over either hardware cloth or heavy gauge wire fencing (that I had in my "boneyard" of building materials) to keep critters from diggin in.

The corners of the Coop are set in concrete and the 4x4's of the run have rebar hammerdrilled into the ground. I actually hit the corner of the run with the bucket of my tractor once and it did not move an inch! HA!

I've got too many freinds who have had their flocks killed off by predators so I suggest over-doing the security.

My entire Coop and Run. I've added a small "Free Range" area since but I'm too lazy to get a pic this am!
Coop Ready to Landscape.jpg
Coop Ready to Landscape.jpg

So, your new coop and run.... no way to have it share a wall with the old coop and run? Because that way, the "dividing two runs" hardware cloth could be replaced with some inexpensive chicken wire, and at least that one strip of hardware cloth can be reused on a new exterior run wall.

Also, if the new coop and run can be against the barn you mentioned, that also would reduce fencing costs.

I had great luck getting all coop building needs from the construction trash area of my local dump, and from the Facebook and Craigslist free pages.

EXCEPT for hardware cloth. I did get some good free fencing, but with 1x2 inch holes. It works as a good base though, makes everything stronger.

So, I would suggest super scrounging... but planning to still have to pay for hardware cloth.

Also... if you are building ontop of a concrete slab... or only 1 foot up... I would see about digging down to the concrete in a border trench... and figuring out how to connect your perimeter fence to the slab, talk about perfect predator blocking!!

BTW, I love your first coop and run, but right next to all of that people traffic... I would put people padlocks on all gates....

Back
Top Bottom