New coop, another question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ssramage, Jan 18, 2019.

1. ssramage

ssramage Songster

Mar 8, 2013
    St. Simons Island, GA
    Well I bit the bullet and bought the coop that I asked about here.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/thoughts-on-this-coop.1287016/

While I still have some modifications to make, it's a great starting point for my needs and the builder was super nice. In our area, there's not much readily available and the quality of these coops is very good. I would highly recommend Stan Luther with ChickenPartner (check him out on Facebook).

So, I suddenly have plenty of space and two young boys anxiously learning chicken math. We currently have 3 silkies (2 hens and a rooster). The coop itself is 6x10 and is basically all run. Birds will be let out on the weekends and afternoons when home to free range.

Given those parameters, how many birds would you recommend for a coop this size? I'm thinking 6-8 but want to confirm with the experts.

Attached Files:

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    Letting them out to range occasionally doesn't really increase your space, though the chickens will enjoy that time out. In your climate and with bantam Silkies 6 to 8 is a good number. But you mention chicken math. I'd be nervous about integration in there, or having a hen raise chicks in that area. Not so much when she is protecting them but after she weans them and they are on their own to make their own way with the flock. It might work out or it might be tight.

3. ssramage

ssramage Songster

Mar 8, 2013
    St. Simons Island, GA
    We won't be raising chickens, or adding any others. 6-8 would be the number.

I mentioned chicken math only because I started with 3 and now my kids want a few more.

My goal would be to keep the 3 silkies and add 3 of another breed (Buff Orpingtons, RIR, etc...). Looking to add pullets of a similar age to mine.

Ridgerunner likes this.
  4. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I would connect that coop to a fenced in run area.

I would worry a bit about mixing silkies with a more active kind of breed. It doesn't always work well.

I do like the coop btw.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    The whole thing is 6x10?
    So the 'coop' portion(more sheltered area where they roost/sleep) is, what, maybe 6x4-5?
    Tho it's all pretty open, and in your climate may the whole thing could be used for roosting.

Keep in mind that integration works best with extra space...
    ...and is a whole other learning curve.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: