New coop build

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mendozer, Aug 24, 2011.

1. mendozer

mendozer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2011
    seattle
    I had an earlier thread on my original coop and i just re-built a new one for the hens. They died last weekend tragically, but I thought I'd share the plans anyways and pics.

The total dimensions are 4'x8'x5' high. I made the coop elevated above the run and it feature two doors, one for cleaning/eggs and the other large one is for letting them out into the run. The feeder trough is PVC. I had a PVC watering system in the last coop from sch 40 pvc and that worked great. I came into some free drain/sewer PVC and it would not work this time. Not with cement, caulking, built in frame, etc. So i scrapped it and used this water cooler jug I had lying around. I re-assembled the wood into a holder for that. I think it's pretty cool and it holds a bunch (10 gallons?). The coop floor is made of rafters so poo falls through. Right now I have OSB sheets under that I was sliding out to toss the poop, but I'm going to put in drawers on casters for ease and convenience before new birds go in there.

[​IMG]

The orange fencing is the moveable part so I can get into the run. I have it set in pvc in the ground and I just move the last segment's pole into another empty pvc tube to open the "door"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. spotstealer

spotstealer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Poynette, WI
    Nice, really nice. I might be concerned that the roost is low and too close to the wall though. Just a thought.

3. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Nice job! Sorry you lost your hens [​IMG]

4. mendozer

mendozer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2011
    seattle
    the bottom rung is 4 inches off the ground and the top is like a foot. Only one used the top and the rest sat on the ground. how high should it be?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by