new coop builder!!

FunnyFarmJess

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 19, 2013
I've raised ducks in the past, but this is the first year for chickens!!
My husband can get pallets from work so i've been checking out different designs for using pallets, but my question is: How many nesting boxes do i need? do we need one for each hen?
i thought i read somewhere before that i only need one nesting box per 3 hens, but i can't find that again, not sure if i just pulled that out of the air, ha! right now i have 5 chicks.. we're just starting, i plan to get more in the future as well as guineas too... thanks!!

I've raised ducks in the past, but this is the first year for chickens!!
My husband can get pallets from work so i've been checking out different designs for using pallets, but my question is: How many nesting boxes do i need? do we need one for each hen?
i thought i read somewhere before that i only need one nesting box per 3 hens, but i can't find that again, not sure if i just pulled that out of the air, ha! right now i have 5 chicks.. we're just starting, i plan to get more in the future as well as guineas too... thanks!!
I think the rule of thumb is around 1 box/4 birds. I like to have plenty of nest boxes so that their is no waiting or squabbles. I would make a couple boxes and 3 would be good in case you add a few birds.

Back
Top Bottom