New coop built, now to finish it out!

ChestnutRidge

Songster
8 Years
Feb 26, 2011
Western Virginia
In exchange for a leather motorcyle jacket, my DH's good friend helped us to build an 8x8 chicken coop this weekend! He is a former contractor and can do all of this stuff in his head (which is why I really don't have anything for the coop contest. Our coop is actually based on BYC user elmo's just-the-right-coop, but we strayed a bit because of location, materials, and our builder's whims.

I am posting about this on my blog (link in signature) but thought I'd share here as well!

I am so excited I could dance! I thought the coop would turn out much smaller than it is, but even in the back it is 6 feet tall, 8-foot in front!

We still need to: put up hardware cloth & mosquito netting, trim windows & vents, create and install vent covers, create & install pop door and ramp, add all hooks/hinges/chains, add roost, paint inside and out, and probably 100 other things I'm forgetting. We had old windows and a door which we found in our crawlspace, but, right now, it's still running about $850 so obviously we are not very good at finding usable materials. Oh, well, I still love it and it will bring me great enjoyment! Here's some pictures of the progress so far:

80987_img_8014.jpg

80987_img_8016.jpg

80987_img_8021.jpg

View from the coop:
80987_img_8023.jpg

Today we got on the tar paper, roof, and door. I'll post updated pictures tomorrow!

Thanks!
greenstars.gif
I almost want to drag out a sleeping bag and go spend the night in there, but I am restraining myself. DH says I don't need a play-house because I have a real house.
hide.gif

ginger c. :

it's really cute!
thumbsup.gif

Thanks!

Today I put up window screen and hardware cloth on the windows and vents. We'll trim the windows and vents with wood which will cover the edges.
80987_img_8157.jpg
80987_img_8156.jpg

Then I got a little sidetracked... Boy, is it ever time for the little poopers to move to a bigger brooder!
80987_img_8154.jpg

Hopefully I'll get more done tomorrow!​

Back
Top Bottom