New coop built, now to finish it out!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChestnutRidge, Jun 12, 2011.

1. ChestnutRidge

ChestnutRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    In exchange for a leather motorcyle jacket, my DH's good friend helped us to build an 8x8 chicken coop this weekend! He is a former contractor and can do all of this stuff in his head (which is why I really don't have anything for the coop contest. Our coop is actually based on BYC user elmo's just-the-right-coop, but we strayed a bit because of location, materials, and our builder's whims.

I am posting about this on my blog (link in signature) but thought I'd share here as well!

I am so excited I could dance! I thought the coop would turn out much smaller than it is, but even in the back it is 6 feet tall, 8-foot in front!

We still need to: put up hardware cloth & mosquito netting, trim windows & vents, create and install vent covers, create & install pop door and ramp, add all hooks/hinges/chains, add roost, paint inside and out, and probably 100 other things I'm forgetting. We had old windows and a door which we found in our crawlspace, but, right now, it's still running about $850 so obviously we are not very good at finding usable materials. Oh, well, I still love it and it will bring me great enjoyment! Here's some pictures of the progress so far:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    View from the coop:
    [​IMG]

Today we got on the tar paper, roof, and door. I'll post updated pictures tomorrow!

2. claudicles

claudicles Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    That looks fabulous. No wonder you are excited. [​IMG]

3. ChestnutRidge

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    Thanks! [​IMG] I almost want to drag out a sleeping bag and go spend the night in there, but I am restraining myself. DH says I don't need a play-house because I have a real house. [​IMG]

4. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    looks very good built, and a very nice design too. congrats.

5. ChestnutRidge

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    The door is up and a coat of paint on the outside! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

6. ginger c.

ginger c. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    it's really cute! [​IMG]

7. ChestnutRidge

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    ginger c. :

it's really cute! [​IMG]

Thanks!

Today I put up window screen and hardware cloth on the windows and vents. We'll trim the windows and vents with wood which will cover the edges.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Then I got a little sidetracked... Boy, is it ever time for the little poopers to move to a bigger brooder!
    [​IMG]

Hopefully I'll get more done tomorrow!​

8. navychick

navychick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Your coop is really nice! Fun to watch your progress.

9. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    [​IMG][​IMG]

10. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Great start....Good ventilation and good predator protection [​IMG] (based on the brush, you're going to need it)

Waiting to see what happens tommorrow [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by