New Coop Construction with Photos!

thumbsup.gif

Hi Everyone,

I've been working on bits and pieces of the coop for the last couple of weeks. I apologize that I haven't been in more often to respond and show my progress. I just finished building the double nest box, and cutting out and screwing on my wall panels after priming them all with oil based paint. I still have quite a bit of work left, but I think i'm past the bulk of the labor. I made a 4x2' brooder box for the garage, and expect to get my chicks next weekend, so I think i'm in good shape! The main ventilation is on both ends, with smaller vents tucked underneath the roofline on the main walls. Think that should be enough to keep them cool?

Amy, I ran the hardware cloth up to the ceiling and then stapled it to one of the 1x2's that I screwed into the roof (making sure the screws wouldn't over penetrate). Then I sandwiched the wire between another board so the staples couldn't work their way out over time.

000_0248.jpg

000_0247.jpg

000_0246.jpg

That's a great coop! I keep showing my husband all this beautiful coops...I keep hoping.
big_smile.png

Quick question to those of you who have built coops before: Is there much to be gained by installing interior walls? Right now, the main benefit would be the ease of cleaning a flat surface instead of having to scrub inbetween my 2x4's in the walls. Currently, I have the outer OSB panels in place only, and wanted to know whether it was necessary to put up some interior walls to cover the studs inside. At this point, i'm leaning against insulating the walls. If I did, I think I'd use some of that thin(1/8" thick) laminate wallboard that you typically see behind washing machines . What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
I was expecting to pick up my chicks early Saturday morning, however my local breeder called me early Friday afternoon and said that they are ready to be picked up! I was happy to take off from work an hour early to go get my 5, 3 week old Buff Orpingtons. After a little time, they figured out where the food and water was, and proceeded to make a mess of things! They don't run from me when I pick them up, and they quickly calm down when being held. They are alot of fun to watch! Anyhow, here's a couple pictures of my brooder and my new chicks!

brooder.jpg

chicks.jpg

Just got finished with framing the run and putting on the first layer of wire!

IMG_20110419_201112.jpg

IMG_20110419_201028.jpg

Back
Top Bottom