New coop...er, sort of...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DVTO2, Jan 11, 2012.

1. DVTO2

DVTO2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    After having a good first year with my chickens, last spring I built an "other poutry" run. It was 10' by 10', covered in welded wire. I used 2'x3's for the framing with 5' studs and a gabled roof. I covered the roof with welded wire and a tarp and then this Fall put another tarp across the north facing wall and half of the east and west walls - enough to protect the roost bar from a north east wind. The run can be pushed (with effort) for small distances and has blocks on four corners of the lower rail with slots cut out for a large lag bolt that can be fitted with wheels.

I had planed to put turkys in there but wound up getting some Muscovies, a drake and a duck. At about a year old, one of my 7 hens died, the rest were molting, and egg productioon was way down. I decided to get a couple of juvenile hens, but the older hens would not let them eat. I was worried about them, and in desparation, threw them in the with ducks, who accepted them with very little problem. They even proteted the new hens when I let all the birds out to free range. I threw a 5 gallon bucket in the corner of the run which became a nest box. Later, one of the older hens looked very malnourished. She had been molting and the other hens would not let her eat. I threw her in with the other poultry and they are all getting along great.

This was a much easier build than the coop/run combination my other hens have. We have had a relatively mild winter so far, but the chickens seem to doing fine - any concerns from folks about a northeast winter here in northern CT?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Looks great [​IMG]

3. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga. [​IMG]
    I like what you built keep it up.

4. DVTO2

DVTO2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    No concerns about very cold weather? It's going to zero tomorrow night.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  5. coonhoundmama87

coonhoundmama87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Many of my chickens and ducks choose to say outside all night. Some even roost in trees. Your birds will be just fine I'm sure!! It's snowing here and I bet the same ole ones are still in the trees tonight!
    Awesome design by the way!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by