new coop for a dozen, size questions..

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ericstac, Jun 13, 2010.

1. ericstac

ericstac Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2010
    I'm hoping to have about a dozen or so layers ready in the next month and so the plans to start building the coop has begun. I keep reading I need 4sqft per hen but this really doesn't make sense. I am planning on a 4x10 coop 5 foot high so this is 40sqft, good for 10 hens. but if I make it 5x10 it will be 50sqft, good for 12.. why would adding a foot along the longside make it more roomy for 2 additional hens? Don't they just go in the lay eggs and roost? I really doubt they all hang out on the floor, right?

I guess I'm trying to justify my 4x10 for my hens [​IMG]

2. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    You need the extra space because in the winter when it snows the birds will refuse to leave the coop. Sometimes for weeks at a time. When this happens if they don't have enough space they start to fight & can really mess each other up. When too confined they don't have anyplace to run & can't get away from the meaner hens.

During warm months the space is not so important as they should be outside - but you have to plan for when they are confined.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by