New coop - how to get chickens to roost in it

Pompona

Chirping
Apr 30, 2023
Spain
Hi,
I just got a new coop after a fox killed my ducks, so I want to protect my chickens, who were lucky.
So, until now, our chickens roosted on some perches we built in a covered run (with tarps) , see pics. Now, I got a small new coop with and automatic door. It has four 90-cm perches, it is intended for 12 to 15 normal sized chickens (in the pics, it is the grey coop at the back of the run).
I have 11 chickens: 3 normal size hens and the rest are bantams like sebrights and seramas. So there is enough space for them inside.

The thing is, how to get them to use it?
What I am going to do is:
1. Remove all perches and a tiny coop that I used for chicks (some of the bantams sleep on it)
2. Maybe put some light outside/ inside the new coop so they can see the perches?
3. Lure them in with some treats to get the to know ghe coop

What else can I do to make the transition easier? How long do you think it will take them to get used to it?

Any advice appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• 20240206_191451.jpg
    20240206_191451.jpg
    441.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 20240206_191428.jpg
    20240206_191428.jpg
    462.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 20231121_145035.jpg
    20231121_145035.jpg
    793.4 KB · Views: 21
Remove any roosts in the run area.
Usually the best way to 'home' birds to a new coop is to confine them there for a few days and nights, but that coop does not look large enough to do that.
Is the new coop made out of metal?
Could become an oven in summer.
Are there any windows to allow some daylight in to it?

Thanks, aart. I removed the roosts already as I was cleaning today the run. We currently have problems with coccidia and giardia, but already in the middle of treatment. I also removed the "nests", which were some old cabinets, otherwise they would sleep there.
I also ( temporarily) removed a small panel of the coop's roof to let some light in.
I get your concern about the coop being too hot. It is made of wooden fibers and resin, it is called high pressure laminate (or something like that), so it should be ok. If I see they need more ventilation I can drill some more holes.
The coop has been there already for 4-5 days, and they haven't even "explored" inside.
I guess I have to be patient... maybe tonight I'll put them inside the coop myself, so they realize there are some perches there.

Forgot to say that after the attack, I predator proofed the run, so they should be ok while they get used to the new coop (hopefully!!)

The way I'd approach it would be to lock them in the coop at night. After it gets dark enough for them to go to bed so they are easy to catch I'd move them into the coop and lock them in the coop. Let them out the next morning. Keep doing that until they go to bed in there on their own. Sometimes I've only had to do that once and they got the message. A couple of times it took three weeks before the last two or three caught on. Just be persistent.

Good luck!

The way I'd approach it would be to lock them in the coop at night. After it gets dark enough for them to go to bed so they are easy to catch I'd move them into the coop and lock them in the coop. Let them out the next morning. Keep doing that until they go to bed in there on their own. Sometimes I've only had to do that once and they got the message. A couple of times it took three weeks before the last two or three caught on. Just be persistent.

Good luck!
I will try this tonight, thanks!

Update: I went to put them inside their coop (here in Spain it is already getting dark), and half of them were already there!! I just put the other half in :)
It seems they realized on their own that that was the safest place to sleep
I think once they go inside once, they will keep doing it

Back
Top Bottom