New coop!! Ideas? Suggestions?

I made a hoop run that's is attached to my coop. Pic was taken during the construction phase.

Attachments

• IMG_20190320_182348304_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190320_182348304_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
For supplies, we used spare roofing from our cabin in Vermont, spare flooring vynle from the same cabin. Used two by fours we got for free, and a lot of plywood and two by fours from tsc. Also larger planks that I can't remember what their called. We made ours so it has a mane door that we can open into a storage area at the front of the coop. Just behind it is the inside section that's separated by a wall of nesting boxes topped with hardware cloth that can be opened from inside the storage area. To get into the coop area simply open the hard ware cloth door right next to the wall of nesting boxes. To the left of the door is a hen brooding and hatching area that is for hens to hatch out chicks. With enough room for them to leave the nest to eat drink and poop. And enough room for the chicks to move around for several weeks before needing to go outside.

It was made in the shape of a typical barn at first. Then we added on other roosting areas for our separate flocks to live and sleep.

I feed wet mash, most often - and ahve a lot of birds, so I pour mine into plastic gutters. and since they are nice and long, there's less (note - NOT none) squabling over the feed.

I use a rainwater collection system to fill a polytote, which then connects via PVC to numerous bowl waterers - so if one gets clogged, its not a big deal. Also, I have a stock tank float in a battery box to provide water (my ducks need to submerge their bills), and several other, similar sources.

What feeders/waterers would you recommend? We need new ones.

I like horizontal nipple waterers, which I make myself out of Rent-A-Coop nipples from Amazon and empty frosting buckets from the grocery store bakery (I work in the deli), and the traditional metal hanging feeders with the deep pan and the rolled lip that prevents waste.

0412211456a_HDR.jpg

Of course chicks require smaller feeders and aren't strong enough to use the nipples for at least 3-4 weeks.

Just one more thought... If you haven't planned out the height of the coop, plan now for it to be tall enough for you to stand up in. Same with the run. Your back will thank you. The top of your head with thank you.
almost as much as your father's back will thank him!
(assuming he's taller)

I made a hoop run that's is attached to my coop. Pic was taken during the construction phase.
and if you have an existing building you can build off of, sharing that wall, you can save time and money that way as well. Think "hoop coop" and combine it with this image:

View attachment 3007390
These two posts have given ME so much inspiration for how to solve my issue of connecting my two coops with a protected run without needing a 2nd mortgage to do it. Thanks to both of you!

Back
Top Bottom