New Coop (In The Making)

joshremlin

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 15, 2012
Sheffield (UK)
Hi All,
Just fort I'd share the picture of my coop I'm half way through making... I'll try and explain the pictures best I can - plus any advise is welcomed...

The slabbed area were the run is going to be for when were out through the day at evenings and weekends they will free roam our garden (it will be cleared for the run to be built its just like that as I've just laid the slabs and sorting the garden out)

One side fully done the missing panel is going to be meshed for ventilation just under the roof (not yet done)

The other side started this side is the nest box side with an external nest box.. I will put an easy access lifting roof on for collecting our eggs and it will be paneled in the same stuff as the other side. Although I'm only having a few hens so do you think splitting the nest box in half or having a communal nesting box ?? < thoughts please :)

The last to sides are going to be the sides of the garage with a pop hole for them to get out to the run.

Slabs sourced from a friend for free
3 by 3 wood sourced off a sleeper train from work for free
wood panel sourced from off the kitchen wall which came with the house (free) (back in the 70's and just come off)

Thoughts are welcome!!

Josh & Sue

Great start.

I cannot help with the communal nest box issue, but a friend of mine with chickens had problems with "horsing" around in the communal next boxes. Too many hens, then eggs got stepped on, etc. But even in my "regular sized" boxes several chickens (record of 2 standard fowl and one bantum "sharing" the box to lay eggs).

Always good to recycle, good luck!

On the nest boxes, mine have three boxes for six birds.Most days there are five eggs in one box. One hen never lays in the nest boxes. Sounds like the price is right, free is good. Looks like it will be a nice coop. How many birds are you going to keep in it and what are the dimensions?

Last edited:
Im looking at about 3 birds so I was hoping I would'nt have a problem with the nest box although if I do I'll half the box.

The coop its self is going to 1meter square and its 1.10 meter high so hopefully plenty of room for a few birds
Thanks for looking and the advise
Josh

Depends on your climate whether it will be large enough. If they will not be confined to the coop itself for periods in bad weather you'll be ok. If they will have to left inside for days it is going to be very small. Covering the run in bad weather would provide more space in bad weather.

There are dozens of sites with plans, pictures, and forums about chicken coops and tractors (movable coops). Use the search box at the top of the page and pick the design you like. You need to be handy with tools. Or else you need a friend who is handy with tools.

Back
Top Bottom