New coop, need some assistance.

sidmind

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 20, 2011
I have been lurking for a few weeks while my chickens were in the incubator and I could finish my coop.
This last weekend I was finally able to get it good enough to move them in. but I know I still have much work to do.

as you can see in the photos I have posted (Please remove the two underscores, as this is my first post and it wont let me post images.)
I dont have any hay/sand/pine chips in the coop yet, hopefully that is this weekend. but other than that do you see any room for improvement?
I also know I need some more ventalation but not sure where to put it.

***remove the two underscores in _http_s:

_http_s://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Erp5GYPqBWPDBvA_X0V_uDVuGyo4BJiL6UmT-eueIP8?feat=directlink
_http_s://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/FJKzL-rCK94KmclYzEFWPjVuGyo4BJiL6UmT-eueIP8?feat=directlink

This will be my first experience raising chickens, but my neighbor has a little knowledge with them and we are doing this together, but using my shed.

could someone repost my images please...

Last edited:
Let me see if I can help?... Here ya go, here are the links for you.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Erp5GYPqBWPDBvA_X0V_uDVuGyo4BJiL6UmT-eueIP8?feat=directlink
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/FJKzL-rCK94KmclYzEFWPjVuGyo4BJiL6UmT-eueIP8?feat=directlink

Here are the pictures so everyone can see without clicking on the links.. just to help a tad bit more
smile.png

86513_img_0237.jpg

86513_img_0238.jpg

Quote:

Last edited:
LOL, you guys are funny, very clever getting around image-posting restrictions
lol.png
(And helpful, as I mightn't have bothered to go after them myself if birdygirl123 hadn't made it so they actually display in this window <g>)

So: Basics of a good coop are definitely there!
smile.png
Some things to think about:

How is the run wire attached to the pipe frame (which is nicely braced btw) - is it welded, or wired, or what? As I notice it is bent inward a good bit on one side. You need it to be SUPER tightly attached all edges.

If you can put something smaller-meshed added to the bottom 2-3' it'd be smart b/c then chickens can't poke their heads out (get them ripped off by a lurking predator they didn't notice, seriously it *does* happen) and raccoons etc can't stick their arms in to grab handfuls of a briefly-still-living chicken that has unwisely chosen to take its late afternoon siesta too close to the run wire. I mean, you CAN leave it without anything smaller meshed, and "usually" get away with it, but if some smaller-meshed material becomes available it'd be smart to add it.

What if anything prevents something from digging in underneath the run? It would be good to do at least "some" kind of "kinda" barrier even if you don't want to get real serious about it on the theory that dogs can never get into the yard and chickens will be locked into the henhouse every day at dusk without fail. (If the popdoor will ever be left open after dark, I'd suggest being fairly serious about digproofing). Some kind of apron aroudn the outside is easiest, but there are options. (And if it will ever be left open after dark, the only-mesh run top is an even bigger security risk)

Don't trust the bungee against predators... use an actual metal latch/lock/whatever.

You quite likely will find yourself wishing to either remove those shelves in the coop, or put doors (or similar) on them, otherwise chickens may well decide to hang out on them and thus POO all over them.

You will also quite likely find yourself wanting to lower the nestboxes and raise the roost (I assume that the dead treebranch is the actual roost, and the pieces of lumber were just lying there waiting to be tidied up -- or are they meant as roosts too?) because if the roost is not decidedly higher than the nestboxes, they tend to sleep in the nestboxes and thus POO in the nestboxes which tends to result in really pooey eggs. You won't be able to put the roost very high in that smallish coop though, make sure they can still get up and down ok (chickens not being helicopters
wink.png
)

For ventilation, you have really almost infinite options, since the walls of the shed all look like they'd be very easy to work with. I don't know where you live (climate, weather) or which direction the coop faces, so it is hard to make specific recommendations. Often it is useful to have a large window-style opening (just hardwarecloth in hot weather, with a panel to close it off if you get cold winters) on the side(s) that is/are right against the privacy fence there, because that side will be pretty well sheltered from wind and rain so you can get airflow without lots of incoming weather. You will likely want more than that, and that's where climate and compass direcitons start to matter, but it looks like you've done a smart job of setting things up so far so I bet you can figure out a sensible arrangement
smile.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Thank you for the responce, the frame you see that is bent in, is actually the "extra" frame that was not needed, it's a bit of an optical illusion. it was a dog kennel that was given to us with 4 side, we only needed 3.

The run wire is wired on to the pipe frame, I will go get some chicken wire to fix the lower part of the run, thanks for the advice.
I will have to think about what to do with the digging problem. a good sized dog could probably get in there very easy.

Yes the dead tree branch was suppose to be a roost for the roosters, and the boards were suppose to be a way for the birds to get around. I guess I thought that the nest is where they are suppose to sleep at night. I kept manually putting them in there at night. perhaps I am thinking like a human (nice cozy spot to warm up)

My rooster keeps sleeping on top of the nest box and some of the hens sleep in the nest. I see where I need to make some changes. I thought it was suppose to be that way.

I do have plans to build a proper roost with a wire poop catcher below them, I just have not had time.

Quote:
No no no no, that's not what I meant at ALL, I was being *appreciative* of your helping out
smile.png
The o.p. couldn't post hte images herself because you have to have a certain number of posts on the forum before the computer lets yuou do that -- to weed out spammers -- but I thought this was actually a very clever way of very LEGITIMATELY getting around that restriction (since it is obvious the o.p. is not a spammer in the slightest). You did GOOD, both of ya
smile.png

Pat

there is a little pitch on the roof that would get water into the run.

would any of you folks with experience suggest putting a gutter there to stop that from happening?

where did you say you were located sid?

OH!..
gig.gif
lau.gif
I knew you were being appreciative, but I was afraid that I had done something wrong by helping..
hide.gif
lol.. See, Sidmind.. tring to get me in trouble you.. hahhhahaaaa...

Quote:
No no no no, that's not what I meant at ALL, I was being *appreciative* of your helping out
smile.png
The o.p. couldn't post hte images herself because you have to have a certain number of posts on the forum before the computer lets yuou do that -- to weed out spammers -- but I thought this was actually a very clever way of very LEGITIMATELY getting around that restriction (since it is obvious the o.p. is not a spammer in the slightest). You did GOOD, both of ya
smile.png

Pat

If it were I, I would put a gutter on atleast the side of the run.. I know I have seen people do this with PVC pipe.. One I do believe had the PVC gutter on both sides of the roof, that connected together on the back of the building.. with one Pipe going down into water tub.. Then from there it was set up like one of the automatic water things you see on here.. It was their "green" way of using the water
smile.png

But, I would say to atleast put a gutter on the coop side, to help keep your run from getting muddy.. I'll have to look at the pictures more..
smile.png

Last edited:
The gutter is a great idea i never thought about it.

And i live in north central oklahoma. ( ponca city )

Back
Top Bottom