New Coop - Paint Inside?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BetterHensandGardens, Jun 14, 2010.

1. BetterHensandGardens

BetterHensandGardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Clinton, OH
    Ok, so the new coop arrived (see pictures here if interested - http://www.betterhensandgardens.com/2010/06/13/new-chicken-coop-with-surprise/) [​IMG], and DH asked, "should we paint the inside - maybe it would help protect the wood?"

And I had no idea as to whether it's a good idea, is it worth the work (chickens won't care), or should we leave it the way it is? [​IMG]

What's the best thing to do?

2. shopchicks

shopchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    Yes, paint it! 6ou can use exterior satin or kitchen and bath paint and it will be easier to clean and protect the wood.

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    VERY nice coop! And chicks, too! [​IMG]

I would paint the inside, and use a latex paint, not oil-based. Reason? Paint will help seal the surfaces for easier cleaning and close places where mites might hide.

4. Keene's coop

Keene's coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    neenah, wisconsin
    i did. i painted the floor and a foot up the side walls to protect.

5. somissemilyy

somissemilyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Coldwater, MS
    i didn't do mine, but hey, i like yours! :) i think it's all according to the person.

6. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    We painted the part around the roost area with a clear sealant. We also put down vinyl flooring. That has been the best idea ever!!!!!!!!!

7. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    wow - that's a nice coop. Definitely paint inside. Prime first (I like to use oil-based kilz primer on bare wood and then latex exterior semi-gloss color, 2-3 coats). Do the floor while you're at it. You'll be so glad you did when it comes time to clean out your coop....

8. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    Nice coop (and great surprise)! We painted ours indoors and put vinyl on the floor--love it!! The shavings just slide off the floor and any dirt on the wall or roost come right off. [​IMG]

9. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Did the same as Chickerdoodle and it's making clean up a breeze!! I highly recommend it. I can't believe some of the places poo shows up (insert smiley scratching it's head)

10. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Ok I'm dying to know where you got it from and how much it was.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by