New coop questions.

Hi. First I must tell you I'm an inexperienced newbie who's building his first coop now. I've learned a LOT here. Great forum. My coop will be inside a shed, also. I'm making it 5 by 9 feet and 6 feet high so I can stand up in it. It sounds like you may not have that luxury. Clean up will be a pain if you can't stand up.
For ventilation I'm putting a duct from the coop ceiling up and through the shed roof, into a cupola. There will be a natural draw just like a chimney which I hope will compensate for not having the building outside. I'll make additional vents to supply air in, that will be drawn up and out.
Thanks for this thread. I'll follow it and learn, I'm sure. :^)

The problem with this site and my typing abilities is that by the time I respond to one helpful person someone else has already answered. Thanks for the help, I will reread the link you sent.

As far as poop boards go - for a small coop make it easy on yourself & get some low storage containers. The kind that roll under your bed. They are at walmart for about $9 each. These are perfect for catching the poop. Just sit them under the roost & position them so there is about 6 or 8 inches on either side of the roost & you are done! To clean just remove the container & dump it in the compose heap.

No construction & easy easy clean up! If you are totally nuts about cleaning you can hose them out!

By the way - I have my nests on the floor & on the opposite side of the roost. They dont mind at all.

For head room - If it is a little too short - they wont mind that either. They will still crowd up there. But if you have the space give them all you can.

Thanks again for the information! The coop floor will be 3 feet above the shed floor. I will check out the walmart product you reference. Great information:) I have a note pad that I write all this stuff down in. My plan is to take pictures of the project so that everyone can see the great ideas I have taken from others and also hopefully people can learn from my mistakes.

"I can eat 50 eggs"

Hard boiled, or scrambled?

Just had to ask.
idunno.gif

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
Neighbor
1) Don't amend the order, you would regret it later.
2) Go with 4'
3) Chickens can't read and they don't have rulers either.
4) 6" probably is more than enough. And that is 6" above the floor of the nest. Bear in mind that young chickens may not roost for quite some time. Especially those lower in the pecking order. You may find that some will roost and some will hang out in the nest boxes. They will also poop in there. I recommend that you do not put nesting material in the nest boxes until they all are on the roost. It may not discourage them from sleeping in there, but it will make it easier to clean.
5.) My top roost (and the favorite) allows the girls to stand and their combs brush the ceiling. It doesn't seem to bother them.
6) Sometimes, the chicken butt doesn't extend over the roost at all...as evidenced by the poop on the roost.
lau.gif
My roost bars are 10" apart and there are no issues with over crowding.

In regard to venting, moisture is the biggest issue in a coop. With moisture comes odor. Here in Iowa you have to find the balance between venting and drafty. I like to keep in mind that they are birds and come equipped with a pretty decent down coat. This past week my chicken door has been open to the sub freezing temps. Not only did the girls not complain, they went out side. If it gets to drafty, they will let you know. Keep an eye on them and they'll do well. Since they will be arriving in March, venting will not be needed until they get a bit older. You may need to control the moisture by changing the bedding, but they will need heat until after they are fully feathered. It is my opinion that you will figure out if you have adequate venting before next winter. As for summer, make sure they have a place that provides shade where they have access to water and they will do fine. My coop is not like yours and mine never gets above 85*. The girls are rarely in there when it is that warm...they are under the coop or in the flowers where it is shady.

You can rarely over think the construction of a coop in my opinion. This is a great place to get info, and I find that there are MANY MANY opinions from different perspectives.

Quote:

Just had to ask.
idunno.gif

Hard boiled of course!

Its a quote from the movie Cool Hand Luke. It was still a little before my time but still a very cool movie!

Quote:

Just had to ask.
idunno.gif

Hard boiled of course!

Its a quote from the movie Cool Hand Luke. It was still a little before my time but still a very cool movie!

I'm familiar with the movie, that is why I had to ask...I hope you have better luck with it than Luke did.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom