new coop questions

Thank you for all your replies. My sister and brother-in-law came this weekend and helped me. I'll try to post some pictures soon. I think it turned out nicely, but it cost a lot more than I was expecting. Of course, to get something this big would have cost even more to buy prefab and probably wouldn't be constructed as well. I hope to move my chicks in the coop sometime this week. They are quickly outgrowing my brooder. Have a great week.

So here is the final coop. It is still not completed in that it needs some paint and some more done to the fence. My fence is 5' tall with a 3' hardware cloth addition to the bottom and a 12" skirt I am planning on burying under mulch after I use some landscaping pins to pin it to the ground. My coop has a linoleum floor and I am trying the deep liter method. The coop is 5'x4' and the run is about 60 sq. ft. Right now I have 12 chicks, but am planning on only keeping 5 after giving some away and using the roos as meat birds. I didn't put a roof because it is under my porch and deck. The chicks seem to like it so far. They've been in it since Monday. I hope I have made it predator proof enough. I live in a neighborhood and have a fenced in backyard. They are also put up in the coop at night. All the doors have latches and screw type locks. I may add some more locks to the doors. Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom