New coop/ run shelter

Sedelfelt

In the Brooder
Feb 22, 2022
I had to come on here to just brag about this new shelter I constructed for the chickens! It may have taken 6 hours and 400 zip ties lol but it’s built and it’s SECURE! No predators are getting in here! Next steps are to continue trimming the zip ties and to lay down rock or something on around the edges. My first time building this and I’m happy!
The chickens seem to love it too!

Attachments

• IMG_5182.jpeg
    IMG_5182.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 42
Nice job! I have a very similar structure (so many zip ties, lol).

Just FYI: Predators such as raccoons can DEFINITELY get in there. Simple chicken wire will not keep them out (mice and rats (and snakes, weasels, minks) can also go right through chicken wire). Also digging predators can go underneath that structure no problem (even with rocks around it). Depending on the predators in your area, you may want to consider 1/2" hardware cloth to reinforce the chicken wire and make an apron 18" or so around the base (or you can bury it a foot or two down).

Just FYI: Predators such as raccoons can DEFINITELY get in there. Simple chicken wire will not keep them out (mice and rats (and snakes, weasels, minks) can also go right through chicken wire). Also digging predators can go underneath that structure no problem (even with rocks around it). Depending on the predators in your area, you may want to consider 1/2" hardware cloth to reinforce the chicken wire and make an apron 18" or so around the base (or you can bury it a foot or two down).

Agree with all this, plus those zip ties will start breaking down and become fragile from exposure. You'd be better off "sewing" wire to the frame to ensure it stays in place, or plan on replacing them regularly (and with UV resistant ties at least, or stainless steel ties).

Back
Top Bottom