New coop that had an ice chest cooler as water source

Hen Mistress

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 27, 2010
Someone posted photos of their coop that had an adapted red cooler as the water source. Thought I had saved it but hadn't so I searched the site and now cannot find it. Found some great incubator adaptions but not the waterer.

Since it was a design/construction post, I post here rather than the feeding/watering section. Any reason one couldn't add Tek Supply nipples to a cooler the same as to a 5 gallon bucket? The cooler would keep cold water and ice longer than the uninsulated bucket.

Thanks!

Hi Hen Mistress, You might have seen my waterer, it is made with chicken nipples and a red cooler. I have pics on my BYC page. I'm also going to make waterers as you suggest with 5 gal buckets to distribute around the yard as soon as the weather cools. Oh, BTW,
welcome-byc.gif

Thanks ever so much for the welcome and the reply.

I do appreciate your great construction photos. With all the heat we have here, the ventilation is one of my concerns. The other concern is predators so I am researching and planning, and then doing more.

Quote:
I just did this with a cooler!! http://www.igloo-store.com/products/iglbeverage/bevmaxcold Will have to take pics...I took out the dispensing valve and used a pvc adapter and made a hugepvc run for the nipples...will be a couple weeks before I can get pics up....works great for keeping water cold! i use 2 litter bottles~cut the tops off and fill them with water and freeze them for ice for the cooler.

Last edited:
I'm thinking this will also keep the water from freezing in the winter? Not that YOU have that problem. Now I know why I've kept that old cooler around.

Quote:
I would think it would help, it all depends on how cold it gets where you are. I thought that if I lived in a colder climate I would put a heat tape around the pvc pipe to keep it from freezing near the nipples and some sort of submersible heater for the cooler. The cooler works great for me; I can drop a frozen gallon of water into it and keep it frosty all day long. Now it doesn't take up space in the garage either!

Last edited:
Hi,

I was just wondering how you cleaned out your watering systems that have the pvc piping and nipples? I really want to set up something like this but I was worried about the cleaning of it.

Thanks
DAWN

I have seen set ups here on BYC where important joints are the screw apart types, not glued joints. Like the ones under my kitchen sink. That is what I plan on using in the next coop setup.

Quote:
I used the pvc joints with the red handle to turn on off...can stop water flow from cooler to pipes so I can take it off and wash it...also going to put one on the end of the long pvc pipe so I can turn it on and have everything wash through the long pipe...will take pics soon...look forward to hearing other suggestions.. I have not had any issues and I live in hot, sunny FL

Back
Top Bottom