New coop under construction

JDK123

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 18, 2013
Meansville georgia

Here are a few pictures from this weekend between the thunder storms and three inches of rain. We are adding in a much larger coop to allow us to expand the number of chickens we have. We are trying to use as much free material as we could get to keep the cost of this low. I will post more as we progress.

I am thinking about renovating my chicken coop. I have plenty of pallets that I could use, but I was told that they rot fast. Is this true?

I do not want to spend a lot of money on the renovation, so I am looking into just using scraps around the yard.

I am thinking about renovating my chicken coop. I have plenty of pallets that I could use, but I was told that they rot fast. Is this true?

I do not want to spend a lot of money on the renovation, so I am looking into just using scraps around the yard.

If you seal the wood or paint it they will last alot longer.

Mine are going to be sealed. I have covered it with ply wood inside and out and that will be painted. I'm going to update some pictures later this week when I can get back to it.

Mine are going to be sealed. I have covered it with ply wood inside and out and that will be painted. I'm going to update some pictures later this week when I can get back to it.

thumbsup.gif
Another snow storm moved into our area so now i have to wait till the snow melts and warms back up before i can get back to work on mine.

Ok do the weather has been wet and to unfriendly to get any wokr done the past few days. We spent the weekend finishing the coop and run and now have moved all 18 chicks outside. They are now 8 weeks old and will have plenty of room to run. We started this project with a plan to spend less than 300.00 and build the coop and run large enough for the addition of more birds later and as you will see in the pictures we shou;d have plenty of room. The coop is built from scrap ply wood that I got from shiiping crates and the base is a large shipping skid that I got. I bought 2X3 lumber for the upper framing and used 2X3 for the run. Each run section was built in 8' sections so we can take it down when we decide to add on or move them. The coop can also be moved with a tractor or some other type of equipment. I tried to keep this semi portable and also tried to make verything easy to remove should we ever move the coop.

Here is our total for the coop as well as pictures of the coop and run. I have not installed the nesting boxes yet but they will go in soon. We will have a total of 10 boxes. The coop dimesnions are 12X6X7 and the run is 16X12X7

Shingles for the roof- 40.00
Lumber for the coop framing- 30.00
Lumber for the run- 80.00
Wire for the run side panles and top- 100.00
Hadrware for the coop door and run door- 23.00

Grand total ofr the coop- 273.00

Looks great! I would add some chicken wire around the bottom of the run as well. I would get the 3 ft high roll. That will make sure smaller animals wont get threw it as well.

Back
Top Bottom