New Coop! Upping My Game!

Pics
So, I have around 25 chickens in 3 smallish coops (6 x 4, 3 x 5, one slightly smaller). Today I took delivery of something that will allow me to significantly "up my game".

View attachment 2004572

This bad boy is 20 long by 8 wide, which should allow for roughly 80 chickens.

I honestly don't NEED the mobile part for my slightly less than a half acre lot, although I'm sure it'll be handy. I was able to purchase this for far less than it'd have cost to build a similar size coop out of lumber or a converted shipping container, and it already has 40 nesting boxes and sizable roost setup.

It's got a "people door" on the back, and the bottom section of the sides flip up for "chicken doors". Tin roof, lots of ventilation, hardware cloth flooring.

I need to do some landscaping, fence/gate building, and other prep work, but I expect to fill this with chicks come September, figuring laying will start in early spring, 2021.

So, I'm relatively new to chicken keeping, we are only 2 years in at this point, but is a 8x20 coop large enough to hold 80 chickens? We are in the process of building a new coop so it would be nice to know for reference.

So, I'm relatively new to chicken keeping, we are only 2 years in at this point, but is a 8x20 coop large enough to hold 80 chickens? We are in the process of building a new coop so it would be nice to know for reference.

You'll hear a lot of opinions about how much space birds need in the coop. The guy who sold it to me had it listed as holding 100. 80 would be two square feet per bird. I'm going to start with 50-55 in there and see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom