New coop. What did i miss?

Not sure if I'm seeing it correctly... it looks like some openings and the stuff surrounding the coop is chicken wire...? That will keep chickens in, but not predators out. Any and every opening should be covered with hardware cloth.

And, open soffits are about the best you can have fore ventilation. Up high, wind/rain/snow stay out. Good job!
Yes chicken wire is all I have ever used and my 2 Great Pyrenees have never let a predator slip by. I have even had several broody hens with chicks free range and they keep all flying predators away also.I have had chickens for about 4 years now but I may change it out to hardware cloth later just for added protection.

Your one dog will not be able to manage all predators 24/7, so chicken wire isn't actually adequate. Rats and weasel types will have no problem getting in, at least! And raccoons will be very happy to get your birds too.
And more ventilation will be very helpful, as already mentioned.

Your one dog will not be able to manage all predators 24/7, so chicken wire isn't actually adequate. Rats and weasel types will have no problem getting in, at least! And raccoons will be very happy to get your birds too.
And more ventilation will be very helpful, as already mentioned.
I have 2 Great Pyrenees and some crazy fencing to keep my goats in...lol. My GP's have never allowed a predator past them in 4 years. I am considering switching it out since I am aware hardware cloth is best and it is better to be safe then sorry. Thank you

The roof is flat, I am in the south and a lot of snow for us is an inch or two.

I'm in the Sandhills of NC and find that I need at least double or even triple the recommended ventilation, right at roof level, to keep my unshaded coops from turning into rotisseries when the temperature tops 90.

Not having much natural shade on this property, I've resorted to cheap picnic flies.

I am in the south
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1634482501813.png

I learned something new, thanks for the proper term. I will cover them with HC, do they count as ventilation also?View attachment 2867987.. thank you.
They do count as ventilation, but are often smaller than people think. Are your rafters 2x6? Then 2 linear feet of soffit gives you just less than 1 square foot of ventilation. (Less because the rafters are actually 5.5", not 6" tall, and you also have to subtract the 1.5" width of the rafters, but let's call it 2 linear ft per sq ft.)

So two sides of an 8' x 8' coop gives you 8 square feet of ventilation, about 1/2 of what you need. And I see you have two other vents, but they look rather small, maybe 1 or 2 square feet each? They don't look like the 4 to 5 or so sq ft you'll need if I'm right about the other dimensions & vents.

If the rafters are smaller or larger, then obviously the amount of soffit ventilation would be less or more and the additional needed would change accordingly.

They do count as ventilation, but are often smaller than people think. Are your rafters 2x6? Then 2 linear feet of soffit gives you just less than 1 square foot of ventilation. (Less because the rafters are actually 5.5", not 6" tall, and you also have to subtract the 1.5" width of the rafters, but let's call it 2 linear ft per sq ft.)

So two sides of an 8' x 8' coop gives you 8 square feet of ventilation, about 1/2 of what you need. And I see you have two other vents, but they look rather small, maybe 1 or 2 square feet each? They don't look like the 4 to 5 or so sq ft you'll need if I'm right about the other dimensions & vents.

If the rafters are smaller or larger, then obviously the amount of soffit ventilation would be less or more and the additional needed would change accordingly.
Thank you, I am still going to add another vent to the back 😉. I was thinking 1'×7' opening along the top. The rafters are made from 2x4's but I am assuming this does not add enough ventilation still. We are running errands today but I can get the exact measurements of my current openings on the 2 sides and see if an additional 1x7 opening will be adequate for ventilation.

Back
Top Bottom