New coop!! What to change??

J'sCoop

In the Brooder
Oct 11, 2017
Long story short I got a few bantams and now the chicken math has hit me so I Recently acquired a new coop today for my buff orpingtons. It will be a couple weeks before I get them so now is the time to change or add on to my coop. Off the top of my head I am going to attach 3 nest boxes onto one end of the coop and build a run for them. As far as ventilation goes I'm assuming it needs some when the doors are all closed at night? I will most likely leave the floor like it is with the hardware cloth but add plenty of pine shavings so I don't see them getting any ventilation that way. Should I take a 3-4" hole saw to a couple spots up high on each side? I'm afraid with them roosting the wind will hit them right in the face this winter. And also would you just put one roost bar in the center (8' long) for 6-7 chickens? Look forward to hearing from you guys!!

Attachments

• IMG_0496.JPG
    IMG_0496.JPG
    580.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0497.JPG
    IMG_0497.JPG
    540.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0498.JPG
    IMG_0498.JPG
    589.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0499.JPG
    IMG_0499.JPG
    472 KB · Views: 12
Cut a rectangle any size you want, attacha a hinge to the top, add hardware cloth to the inside and prop it open with a stick. Then you can adjust how much it’s open with different size sticks. Cheap and easy.

:welcome

We can be more helpful, if you give us a general idea of where you are located. Weather plays a roll in how your coop should be set up.
That being said, the first thing I would do is cover the HWC floor, with plywood, no matter where you live. I think it would make cleaning it out a lot easier. Also chickens love to scratch, they may get their feet caught up in it and they won't be able to scratch. For ventilation, I would cut out each end at the top. Maybe a square or rectangle, as big as you can and make a top hinged window also attach HWC on the inside. If your doors are closed, it will be dark inside. Your roof is metal, you may have a problem with it sweating, depending on your weather. The roost would be ok in the middle, although I would probably put it along the back wall.(personal preference) I'm not sure if you could even get back there to do that. It looks like you only have a center door. Make sure you put better locks on your door. How big is the coop?

Wire flooring isn't really great for chicken feet. Birds kept on wire frequently end up with bumblefoot. For the roost, you'll need to position it so that the there is ample room to get up and down without crashing into a wall. With the limited headroom and narrow width, that means your roosts shouldn't be more than a foot or two high. This will give you plenty of room above the birds to open up those gables for your ventilation.
And you will definitely need to change those latches. Far too simple. A racoon can learn how to undo them quickly. You'll need something that you can secure with a carabiner or clip.

:welcome

We can be more helpful, if you give us a general idea of where you are located. Weather plays a roll in how your coop should be set up.
That being said, the first thing I would do is cover the HWC floor, with plywood, no matter where you live. I think it would make cleaning it out a lot easier. Also chickens love to scratch, they may get their feet caught up in it and they won't be able to scratch. For ventilation, I would cut out each end at the top. Maybe a square or rectangle, as big as you can and make a top hinged window also attach HWC on the inside. If your doors are closed, it will be dark inside. Your roof is metal, you may have a problem with it sweating, depending on your weather. The roost would be ok in the middle, although I would probably put it along the back wall.(personal preference) I'm not sure if you could even get back there to do that. It looks like you only have a center door. Make sure you put better locks on your door. How big is the coop?

I Am in Kentucky, so temps don't usually get below 20 degrees in winter expect for maybe a week or two out of the year. It is an 8x4, and on the only having a center door I am thinking about removing the hardware cloth on each side so I can swing open all three doors and clean everything out. The builder did it like that in case someone didn't have a run for there chickens which isn't the case with me. You all are awesome!!

Wire flooring isn't really great for chicken feet. Birds kept on wire frequently end up with bumblefoot. For the roost, you'll need to position it so that the there is ample room to get up and down without crashing into a wall. With the limited headroom and narrow width, that means your roosts shouldn't be more than a foot or two high. This will give you plenty of room above the birds to open up those gables for your ventilation.
And you will definitely need to change those latches. Far too simple. A racoon can learn how to undo them quickly. You'll need something that you can secure with a carabiner or clip.

I work for fastenal so the latches will be swapped out next week, I have had my run ins with coons before they are to smart for there own good.

I work for fastenal so the latches will be swapped out next week, I have had my run ins with coons before they are to smart for there own good.

good ahead of the game all good advice being given but darn great to add a second coop I have three now

good ahead of the game all good advice being given but darn great to add a second coop I have three now

I have another small coop for my bantam chickens but wanted this one for my orpingtons coming. At this point I will end up with a few more coops cause this chicken math is getting me!

Regarding the floor--I have hardware cloth covered with deep pine shavings for summer, and in winter I insert boards. Since I do a deep litter method, I don't clean the coop but once a year. I have ventilation year round on one side of my triangular shaped coop--not at the bottom, but the upper portion of the triangle, which I can block if it is windy in the winter or colder than 10 degrees. I'm in Virginia if that helps as far as temperatures. I've never had a problem with cold here negatively, only heat, and my girls have never had a disease or anything strange. Ventilation is critical. I also love having my run positioned so I can access the egg door in regular shoes; it is not inside the run.

Back
Top Bottom