New Coop, Who Dis?

Chefrica

Chirping
Aug 21, 2020
South Jersey
New here!! and new to raising chickens. Our chicks were getting too big for the brooder so we started their forever home. Originally we thought about building a chicken tractor out of pvc but it seemed like it was going to be a bit expensive and we already had some pressure treated 4x4s lying around so we went with a solid structure instead. The basics of it are done. We've got a tin metal roof, the bottom is hardware cloth and the top is chicken wire. We know we have hawks but so far that's the only predator we foresee being an issue. We have a very large beautiful turkish kangal named Vasi that keeps most things out of our yard. I plan on painting the coop but we wanted to get them in there quickly so it's bare bones basics for now. We will be adding nesting boxes and a hatch door to get to them on the side with the tree as well as adding in roost areas throughout and a window or two for extra ventilation. It's hard to tell from the pictures but there is a good amount of ventilation inside the coop on all for sides where the roof is. It's about two inches wide all the way around and is filled in with chicken wire. Around the bottom we dug about 6-8 inches down and filled it in with large rocks and bricks and some dirt. I'm super excited to finally have the space and time to raise some pretty little ladies!

Let me know what you all think about our Fowl Fortress!

Oh and our chickies are two ISA browns and two RIRs. The two isa's are Coka and Vina (coq au vin) and the RIR's are Gertie and Penny. But we think Penny might actually be Peter
IMG_2990.jpg
IMG_2994.jpg
IMG_2992.jpg
IMG_2991.jpg

Back
Top Bottom