New Coop with Ventilation Question

PAroost

Hatching
9 Years
Oct 25, 2010
Hi all. I'm new to the forum and had a ventilation question. I just completed our first coop, its a large coop with 6 hens for now. We have 4 ventilation "slots" (32"x5") one on each wall. These slots are above the roost level. We also have ventilation on two sides at the eaves (where the roof meets the walls). I have noticed a good breeze at the slot level but it is definitely above where the chickens roost.

My question is: do you think I should close up one or more sides to reduce the draft in the winter? And should I insulate the interior? We are located in Western PA.

Thanks for the help!!

70461_nikon_800.jpg

you can see the slots on the sides here

70461_nikon_802.jpg

Another shot of one side with the nesting boxes and vent slot.

70461_nikon_795.jpg

Shot of the interior

Like you, I have ventilation on all four sides of my coop. I live in a wind tunnel that hits from the east and storms roll in from the northwest. All of my vents, except those south facing, are made so that I can close them up. That way, no matter which direction the bad weather is coming from, I can regulate the interior of the coop. With summers as hot as they are it's important to have lots of cross ventilation. In the winter, usually the south facing vents should be enough.
I'm in San Diego so I can't help with the insulation. I insulated my coop because of the summer heat.

You have a real nice set-up!
welcome-byc.gif

Your coop looks wonderful! I love it.

We just finished insulating with blueboard (blue styrofoam panels) which were really easy to use and didn't reduce the inside space too much. We had 2x2 studing inside so we couldn't use the standard pink batts of insulation (much higher R value but take up a lot more space). The insulation was fairly cheap too, but all types must be covered or they will peck it to bits.

I recommend insulating if you aren't planning on heating the coop - but I suppose it depends on your situation. We are in Southern Ontario where it has pretty cold winters and it can get fairly storming and windy.

Yes you will for sure want to close the upwind side(s) in cold weather. The great thing about your having vents on all 4 sides, though (aside from it being cooler in summer) is that you can accommodate ANY weather, even nasty snow from the Southeast or whatever. So you should be good with that.

I would really suggest doing SOMEthing to the inside of the coop walls and roof, even if it is just putting up plywood or OSB, because the bare metal will become a condensation farm and make it impossible for your ventilation to do much good. It is up to you whether you want to "seriously" insulate (although that would make your life and your chickens' life easier) or just put up something to keep the interior coop air from directly contacting the metal.

Good luck, have fun, cute coop,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom