New Coop

grandmas Nest

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 21, 2010
Newcastle, Wy
Have new coop done. I will cover lower part of windows with cardboard so chickens don't try to fly through windows. Later add a roof to the run. I will be adding 3 ameraucanas and 3 cinnimon queens this evening.
D.gif
My first experience with layers. They are 7 months old and just started laying. I made the feeder and a nipple waterer for in the coop. Will have a regular waterer in run for now until it turns cold. So this is a hole new experience for me. For the coop we used things we had. It is insulated with venting above roosts along eves, and one east and west side walls. Plus four windows that open if I need more ventilation. It is 8 x 8 with the run being under coop and 7 x 13. Not sure how to get picture from uploads to here?
big_smile.png
: They are on my BYC page.

Last edited:
Nice looking coop!

I see what you mean about the windows. You might try something I used for the windows of our indoor bird room (we have "free ranging" doves indoors). I bought some clear, reinforced packing tape and "striped" the windows with the tape. Light still comes through, but the tape makes it possible for the birds to see the window so they don't fly into it.

Yes I had thought about colored tape but i may have to block part of the south window anyway as the coop will get to hot. But will have to watch that to see. I don't plan on heating it at all this winter, the sun should do that.

Back
Top Bottom