New coturnix layers / eggs cracked

haley0489

Chirping
Mar 29, 2023
I have 8 week old coturnix hens that have been laying for just over a week. I thought I had one that was pecking holes in eggs, but I was outside today when two eggs were laid. There was no time for anyone to peck, and yet they were cracked/dented from what seems like impact. My quail are housed in 1/4” hardware cloth cages.

Is this something to expect in new layers or a sign of low calcium? I’ve been offering oyster shells every couple of days, but they are still on starter game bird feed. Maybe I need to switch them to layer feed in addition to oyster shells.

Attachments

• AB447A25-4D6F-48E8-A41F-720CB6DA3A4F.jpeg
    AB447A25-4D6F-48E8-A41F-720CB6DA3A4F.jpeg
    481.5 KB · Views: 229
That looks like it hit the wire hard. Is your wire coated? Do you have any dirt boxes in there for them? In my experience, if they have a dirt box, they prefer to lay there, and you may have fewer damaged eggs.

That looks like it hit the wire hard. Is your wire coated? Do you have any dirt boxes in there for them? In my experience, if they have a dirt box, they prefer to lay there, and you may have fewer damaged eggs.
I thought it was wire damage too. The wire is not coated, but the drop is literally just vent to floor…centimeters at most. I do have a large dirt pan for them (it’s a 15” saucer for a pot plant.) A couple will lay in there, which is great, but majority lay any where.

You might try offering calcium (oyster or egg shell) on the side. I've had a few like that, but it's rare. It could be because I keep mine on the ground rather than on wire, but it's hard to say for sure.

Back
Top Bottom