New Development: New Chicks are Running From Me

ThatTeowonna

Songster
Oct 12, 2020
Columbia, SC
I'm kinda chuckling to myself as I write this... I've had my chicks for three days now. I've been enjoying them thoroughly, visiting and handling daily so they will get used to me. I announce myself as I come as to not startle them. Sunday, I noticed some poop stuck on some of the chicks' butts. To avoid pasty butt, I began cleaning them by running water on the poop until it comes off. I then dry them with a hand towel and use a soft stream of air to warm and fluff them. Since I've done this several times now, my chicks have started running away from me when I go to the coop. They may have be eating, drinking, just chirping along. When they see me, one by one they make their way to the furthest point away from me, a corner near the MHP. It's kinda funny but not really.

There was this one who was just standing about, enjoying herself. When I reached down for her, she run away like a dart, peeping like a monster was after her, jumping over everything in her way. It was animated like a cartoon (lol). I don't want them to be afraid of me. I bought some chick treats (even though I think it is too early), hoping they will associate me with the happiness of treats. They even run from the treats. What can I do to turn this around? My poop cleaning service will continue, even though they hate it.

Is there a way you can get your hand down low enough to sort of scoop them up instead of reaching down over them? That might make them less scared.

You could put just a mealworm or two in your palm and keep your hand down at their level. Hold still and let them approach you. They may or may not approach at first but if you keep doing it, someone will get brave and go for the treat. Often once the others see a chick doing something (and getting a treat for it), they'll copy.

Some birds will always be more standoffish because it's just their personality. But with a lot of patience, you'll find some that are more out going and will be friendly.

Is there a way you can get your hand down low enough to sort of scoop them up instead of reaching down over them? That might make them less scared.

You could put just a mealworm or two in your palm and keep your hand down at their level. Hold still and let them approach you. They may or may not approach at first but if you keep doing it, someone will get brave and go for the treat. Often once the others see a chick doing something (and getting a treat for it), they'll copy.

Some birds will always be more standoffish because it's just their personality. But with a lot of patience, you'll find some that are more out going and will be friendly.
Excellent suggestions. I will definitely give that a try. Scooping instead of grabbing... great distinction!

How necessary is cleaning them all the time? The whole experience is probably scaring them, and they don't want it done anymore. If they're having a constant problem with pasty butt, there might be another issue that needs to be treated. If you are doing this just to keep them clean, maybe you should slow down a little bit and only clean them when they really need it. Also, when you go to pick them up, don't have your hand above them. To them, that is an airal predator. Instead, slowly slide your hand down the side of their pen, then slowly slide it towards them. Then, hold them as much as possible, always making certain that your hands are warm first.

How necessary is cleaning them all the time? The whole experience is probably scaring them, and they don't want it done anymore. If they're having a constant problem with pasty butt, there might be another issue that needs to be treated. If you are doing this just to keep them clean, maybe you should slow down a little bit and only clean them when they really need it. Also, when you go to pick them up, don't have your hand above them. To them, that is an airal predator. Instead, slowly slide your hand down the side of their pen, then slowly slide it towards them. Then, hold them as much as possible, always making certain that your hands are warm first.
Great suggestions. I don't clean them all the time but when I notice a chick with poop stuck to her butt, I make note and get it at a more convenient time for me. I don't think it is a more serious problem. They are only a few days old and I probably didn't let them hydrate well enough before giving them food. My bad... rookie mistake.

Also, I don't think I've cleaned a single chick more than once. Once we get the issue resolved, that's it for them. One chicks let out a nice load while I was drying her. "Problem fixed!" I said.

I will definitely start scooping instead of grabbing. I wish I had known better.

Great suggestions. I don't clean them all the time but when I notice a chick with poop stuck to her butt, I make note and get it at a more convenient time for me. I don't think it is a more serious problem. They are only a few days old and I probably didn't let them hydrate well enough before giving them food. My bad... rookie mistake.

Also, I don't think I've cleaned a single chick more than once. Once we get the issue resolved, that's it for them. One chicks let out a nice load while I was drying her. "Problem fixed!" I said.

I will definitely start scooping instead of grabbing. I wish I had known better.

There's a learning curve with any new animal, I think you're doing fine!

Treat the pasty butt- that’s important. Some breeds or individual chicks seem more prone to pasty butt. Usually all pasty butt issues seem to go away by Day 10-12, if not earlier. They may be slightly dehydrated...they might be getting too warm. In your setup, can they get away from the heat? In a momma heating pad scenario, some make it like a cave. That means a chick might get stuck in the back, behind other chicks, if not able to leave the heated area, as the only way to leave is through the front of the “cave”, So they could get too warm for too long. Under a heat lamp, they should be able to go to a cooler area at will. Under a brooder plate, they should be able to leave from at least 2-3 sides.

When we treat, I nestle them in my palmwith their head between two fingers, they are more stable, and I can use warm water to remove the stuck on poop, and only their butt/vent area gets wet. They go immediately into a paper towel in my hand to blot the water, then put under the heat source.

chickens are prey animals and naturally are hardwired to avoid predators. Many breeds will become much more relaxed as they near laying age (POL). We have only had a couple of chicks that were genuinely curious and friendly/outgoing past the first few newly hatched days. They get fairly predator wary (human wary) until closer to POL. No need to give treats right now. Use crumble if you want to try to get them to eat from your hand.

Treat the pasty butt- that’s important. Some breeds or individual chicks seem more prone to pasty butt. Usually all pasty butt issues seem to go away by Day 10-12, if not earlier. They may be slightly dehydrated...they might be getting too warm. In your setup, can they get away from the heat? In a momma heating pad scenario, some make it like a cave. That means a chick might get stuck in the back, behind other chicks, if not able to leave the heated area, as the only way to leave is through the front of the “cave”, So they could get too warm for too long. Under a heat lamp, they should be able to go to a cooler area at will. Under a brooder plate, they should be able to leave from at least 2-3 sides.

When we treat, I nestle them in my palmwith their head between two fingers, they are more stable, and I can use warm water to remove the stuck on poop, and only their butt/vent area gets wet. They go immediately into a paper towel in my hand to blot the water, then put under the heat source.

chickens are prey animals and naturally are hardwired to avoid predators. Many breeds will become much more relaxed as they near laying age (POL). We have only had a couple of chicks that were genuinely curious and friendly/outgoing past the first few newly hatched days. They get fairly predator wary (human wary) until closer to POL. No need to give treats right now. Use crumble if you want to try to get them to eat from your hand.
Thank you! I took your advice and upped the heat one notch... it's 70 degrees here today. My MHP is suspended, so they can get out from all sides (the back is a bit lower, though). A towel drapes the backside. I lifted that a bit to allow additional access to exit.

My granddaddy raised chickens for eggs. I bet he never worried about pasty butt nor anything else (except dogs and other predators). The 'bitties' as we called them, either made it or didn't. Today, we have so much knowledge that we have become slaves (not a good word) to the chicks. lol... but they do bring us joy, don't they.

Back
Top Bottom