New dog wants my chickens, what do I do?...

Quote:
Shock collar works wonders. I have only used shock 1 time. All the other times I use vibrate. The dogs are well behaved around the guineas & chickens all the time. If for any reason I do have a problem it is because several dogs are together & a guinea comes around them. Then they like to play guinea chase. But honestly the guineas are running around chasing each other. The dogs just want to play too. I have not yet taken the shock collar completely off, but I hardly ever carry the remote around with me anymore.

When I vibrate one of my pups they run & tuck behind my legs. So they still love & trust you even if you shock them.

Going to pick one up today, she listens very well and is a very calm dog, except when she sees the chickens, it seems though that she only wants to go after the smaller (9 week old) EE's and I think it is for the same reason you mentioned, they are quick and seem like something fun to play with, she doesn't even acknowledge the meat chickens we have I think because they are too big and don't move as fast (not as fun for her).

Still keeping her on a leash for now, until she calms down and gets used to having them here.
I am not sure if allowing her to watch them run around while on leash is a good thing or a bad thing I think it could possibly be good at letting her get to know them but I am afraid that she is just building anticipation for when she is leash free. Long journey I know. I am an amateur when it comes to training dogs I know little about how they learn, but I am reading literature and taking everyones suggestions into consideration. I am determined that with some training she is going to be the perfect dog for us :)
I am really amazed at how for a 6 month old she is not a hyper dog and she listens very well (aside for the temporary loss of hearing while seeing the chickens)

Quote:
Shock collar works wonders. I have only used shock 1 time. All the other times I use vibrate. The dogs are well behaved around the guineas & chickens all the time. If for any reason I do have a problem it is because several dogs are together & a guinea comes around them. Then they like to play guinea chase. But honestly the guineas are running around chasing each other. The dogs just want to play too. I have not yet taken the shock collar completely off, but I hardly ever carry the remote around with me anymore.

When I vibrate one of my pups they run & tuck behind my legs. So they still love & trust you even if you shock them.

Going to pick one up today, she listens very well and is a very calm dog, except when she sees the chickens, it seems though that she only wants to go after the smaller (9 week old) EE's and I think it is for the same reason you mentioned, they are quick and seem like something fun to play with, she doesn't even acknowledge the meat chickens we have I think because they are too big and don't move as fast (not as fun for her).

Still keeping her on a leash for now, until she calms down and gets used to having them here.
I am not sure if allowing her to watch them run around while on leash is a good thing or a bad thing I think it could possibly be good at letting her get to know them but I am afraid that she is just building anticipation for when she is leash free. Long journey I know. I am an amateur when it comes to training dogs I know little about how they learn, but I am reading literature and taking everyones suggestions into consideration. I am determined that with some training she is going to be the perfect dog for us :)
I am really amazed at how for a 6 month old she is not a hyper dog and she listens very well (aside for the temporary loss of hearing while seeing the chickens)

Dang, I shoulda looked- I live in MN too, you could just borrow mine.

Quote:

Dang, I shoulda looked- I live in MN too, you could just borrow mine.

HA Thats very generous of you Thank You
smile.png
I discovered that my parents have an extra to spare, so they will be loaning me one :) Thanks again for your help and offer
smile.png

I didn't read all the posts but I have a good idea what you are asking. I have 3 dogs and it's my daughters dog that I have to watch because she is under a year old. I've had chickens for a few years and I've had the dogs for up to 10 yrs. My birds free range and my dogs are lose when outside. The best thing to do is introduce the dog to the birds. Don't say no to the dog right away. Let the dog smell and lick it all over and tell the dog "good dog." Something you have to also understand...... at times it may look like the dog wants to eat the bird especially the babies. I have found that my dog is always trying to figure out a way to pick the bird up and she can't. I had a duck in my hand showing it to my dog. My dog had the baby ducks head in her mouth for a second then released it. The duck just stood there in my hand wondering why it got so dark. So don't think the dog right away wants to eat your chick. The oldest dog thinks that all baby chicks are her babies whinning that she can't get to them. When they get older and can be put in a pen the dog will lay at the fence checking each chick to make sure it's ok licking them at the same time. Very funny to watch. It's all a matter of trust.

Advertised here on BYC was a video to prevent dogs from harming chickens.

Never before had I allowed dogs and chickens to be out at the same time. I purchased and watched the video---and it was like a light going on. Not only did the approach he showed make total sense...but it was so humane and masterful. no need for a shock collar. We had considered that route and now I am ultra glad that we didn't use that method.

When I first got the chickens...the dogs would lie outside the run just facinated. And watch them. I sent a picture to a friend who thought the dogs were contemplating a meal.

Now, after two months of dogs outside the run...or locked away when chickens free range...or elsewhere on the ranch....the novelty has worn off.

After seeing the video--- it convinced me that

1. dogs & chickens can peacefully co-exist.

2. As other posters have stated the dog needs to sniff the chicken. Scent is one of the dogs best ways to relate to the outside world.

Today I feel really comfortable with the dogs and chickens together...... And it was a natural evolution around here. I didn't even go through all the steps of the video---but I learned SO much about my dogs--- They were more curious about the chickens---but I didn't want them anywhere close. They need to sniff---it is how they relate to the world, but the owner needs to read the signs of a curious sniff or an excited chicken-grabbing approach.

Bryan J Pulliam made the video.. Here is a link http://canterlc.com/StopChickenKillerDogs/site/pages/home/ You can watch it on line---and don't even need to go to a store.

Now in your case...it is probably that the puppy is not mature, very playful and curious and has to establish the individuality of your chickens compared to the chickens where the dog came from.

Back
Top Bottom