New Duck House, not too happy.

I just installed an auto door on their duck pen. The 1st nite it took an hour to herd 'em inside and had to go out to their pen this morning to shoo 'em out. They're as bad as kitty cats, everything is cause for drama!

Oh fellow flocksters, I am heartsick. I awoke this morning after a night of 17 degree temps and the ducks not wanting anything to do with the house I built. The pond is frozen over,but not enough to walk on. I see an awful sight. Two of my 5 Muscovies are standing on the pond where two coves converge into the main pond body. They look confused and frightened. Further back the pond are two more ducks laying dead on the ice with necks torn open and a mink slinking through the cat tails at the back of the pond. Duck #5 is missing and presumed dead.
The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. Blessed be the name of the Lord.

Oh fellow flocksters, I am heartsick. I awoke this morning after a night of 17 degree temps and the ducks not wanting anything to do with the house I built. The pond is frozen over,but not enough to walk on. I see an awful sight. Two of my 5 Muscovies are standing on the pond where two coves converge into the main pond body. They look confused and frightened. Further back the pond are two more ducks laying dead on the ice with necks torn open and a mink slinking through the cat tails at the back of the pond. Duck #5 is missing and presumed dead.
Oh, @Stealth Squabs I am so sorry! :hugs
I will pray for you at church this morning.

I am very sorry for your loss :( . You need to herd them somehow into their coop, get help for family and friends if needed before you lose the last 2. If possible put fencing around your coop so when you herd them inside you can close a gate and get them into the coop. Only feed them at the coop and in the late afternoon before dark. It isn't going to be easy you may even have to clip one wing to keep them inside the pen but you don't want to come out and find another gruesome sight. Keep them inside the pen for at least a week so they can get used to their safe place.

My geese were the same way!

You could force them to sleep in their house by temporarily screwing a barrier of hardware fabric against the door. Pick ‘em up and physically walk them into the house, then close it up. After a few nights they should get the idea.

For my ducks, I just shoved them in and stood in front of the doorway for a few minutes and they got the hang of it…but my geese still refuse to sleep in their house. I have given up the battle for now, will try again when cold weather hits :).
I'm getting a little worried about making a new goose house for mine. I have a hard enough time putting them in at night. I get mad when they don't come in and leave thinking to heck with it; if they want to stay on the pond all night, let them! but I enevidably change my mind for fear of predators. I end up going back out and rustling them in.

I wish I had an idea of how to help, but I haven't a clue. Maybe someone on here will help you find an answer; there are some pretty smart cookies on here.

I'm getting a little worried about making a new goose house for mine. I have a hard enough time putting them in at night. I get mad when they don't come in and leave thinking to heck with it; if they want to stay on the pond all night, let them! but I enevidably change my mind for fear of predators. I end up going back out and rustling them in.

I wish I had an idea of how to help, but I haven't a clue. Maybe someone on here will help you find an answer; there are some pretty smart cookies on here.
My ducks got into the pond on Christmas night and would not come home. We were finally able to scare them out two hours after dark and since then they’re not allowed to free range at all. They have to stay in their coop until I can make an escape proof pen.
The geese got into the pond a few times and would come (eventually) when called but now they’re fenced in on land. They do have a safe pen to sleep in, it was just frustrating that they wouldn’t go into the house placed within the pen.
I personally wouldn’t let them on the pond at all; if they’re not going to come in they’re not going to go out. They can swim in kiddie pools instead!

Back
Top Bottom